Nuvi 56LM Primary files

Discussion in 'GPS Software' started by Moman1, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Moman1

Moman1

:mad:
    Excellent automotive GPS but always had issues updating the maps with Garmin Express. Most times I had to repeat the update several times before it would actually finish. Never had this issue with my Nuvi 40.
    Both units have Lifetime Canada/US maps included.
    Again last week, I tried 4 times to complete the update, (2021 US/Canada maps only) without success. Each time, the Nuvi 56 update would quit at around 80-90% and Garmin Express, once reloaded, would always state "updates available".
    I finally, decided to format the external MicroSD card for possible corruption etc...
    BUT...
    In my frustration and need for speed... I proceeded to foolishly format the built-in primary drive... BIG MISTAKE!!!

Now, neither Garmin Express or Windows10 can detect the unit. No Drive letter.... zip.:eek:

Garmin's phone help informed me the unit was toast : "good for paperweight" and they offered to sell me a new one at "discount price".

Since I find this "help" sorta hard to believe... and although I know my way pretty well around Windows 10 (20H2), I am no programming Genius. So... there might be a super-duper individual among you who could possibly show me the way, once he/she stops laughing at my "get her done!!!" insanity.:D

Moman1, Jan 24, 2021
  2. Moman1

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As I see it you have two problems one bigger than the other, first you would need a backup of the complete operating system of a 56LM, you could possibly get this by copying it onto a computer from another 56LM, but then comes the bigger problem, if there isn't enough of an operating system currently on the unit to allow acess to it via USB to your computer you won't be able to copy the files across anyway

You could try to 'see' the 56LM using your computer running Disk Management, in this example the computer sees 3 partitions from the satnav, 'L', 'M' and 'N', if it sees a drive with a format it doesn't recognise it will show it without a drive letter, in this case both drives 'M' and 'L' have a folder called .system which holds the operating system

OS-Drives.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 25, 2021
Ask a Question