Nuvi 750 - Can't Unlock Maps

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by dleblanc2546, May 23, 2019.

1. dleblanc2546

dleblanc2546

Hello all.

I've been generating my own custom maps for about 10 years now but after the April 6th rollover I can't get any of my Nuvi units I've been using for the same amount of time to accept the maps I make. I keep getting the message "Can't Unlock Maps" when the device is running it's initial boot sequence. I know it has something to do with the way it tells time and date from the satellites it's connected to.

Here's how I generate my maps:

1. I use ArcMap 9.3 to manipulate data that I collect with a Spectra GPS recording device.
    2. I then well export the layers I want to use in my map into their own .shp files.
    3. I import these shape files into GPSMapEdit 10.0 and create an .mp file with my collected data.
    4. I then use a key generator and Sendmap 20 to create an .img file that I can lock to only the serial numbers of the GPS units at my disposal.
    5. After I create this .img file I compile it using a program called cGPSMapper to create the final product to use with my Garmin units.

Until recently everything worked just fine. I have tried a few other forums trying to find anyone who has had similar issues or maybe someone who has had issues of the same type with a different format GPS device. I want to know what I can do short of taking out the expiration date and completely unlocking the maps to protect my data. It's a hobby of mine and I have recorded a lot of stuff. I just don't want someone to be able to steal one of the units from my truck, boat or ATV and be able to just have the data I've spent a lot of time and effort collecting and learning how to use properly.

Thanks in advance for your time.

dleblanc2546, May 23, 2019
  2. dleblanc2546

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If your problem really is due to the April 6th rollover then I guess the Nuvi is reporting the wrong date, some units that are suffereing from this problem also have problems getting a satellite fix, so here are a few questions :-

1) What model number are your Nuvi units?
    2) Can your Nuvi units get a satellite fix?
    3) Do your Nuvi units display the correct date?

The last question made me think about how you get your Nuvi to display the date, if your Nuvis have an 'Apps' >> 'Where I've been' screen, then you will see Today's date displayed in the Right of the screen

You could also examine the date in a stored 'Where I've Been' track file

Nuvi-Nebie, May 23, 2019
Ask a Question