Nuvi 765T Touch screen not responding

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by FhvnEd, Dec 17, 2018.

1. FhvnEd

FhvnEd

Hello All. New to the forum but not to Garmin. I've had a Garmin GPS since 2006 and have had the Nuvi 765T since 2008. I've gone thru a couple of them and haven't upgraded because it's the last unit Garmin made that had a bulit in MP3 player. I don't use it for music. I use it for audio books. I drive a great deal and the books are more entertaining than satellite radio (which I also have), but I digress.

My problem is the touch screen has stopped responding. Happened a few days ago. This is not a new event as it has, in the past, done much the same thing. I'll touch the screen and a different option opens or I'll touch one letter and another appears. Calibrating the screen has always worked and has always solved the issure. I had to factory reset the unit once, but that hasn't happened again.

This time however, nothing fixes it. I can get to the calibration screen and the screen shows "press the dot" but the dot can't be pressed. Nothing happens. I can't do a factory reset because when the unit asks if I really want to do this, nothing happens when I press the yes button. I have taken the unit apart using the tools I got with a replacement battery to make sure all the connections hadn't loosened, but that did nothing. There are only two that I can find. The connection to the battery and the connection to the speaker. So basically the unit is dead in the water unless someone knows a trick I don't. Garmin tech support wasn't helpful because they no longer make or support the unit and their only suggestion (after being surprised I still had a unit that old), was to buy a newer model. I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to. I like this unit. Garmin no longer offers the American Male Voice I use or any unit with an MP3 Player. Also it is hard wired into the 12 volt system in my car with about 7 inches of cable visible that plugs into the window mount. The newer units don't use the same connectors, so I'd have to take the dash apart again to wire for the newer model.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FhvnEd, Dec 17, 2018
  2. FhvnEd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It sounds like you replaced the internal battery on this unit, how long ago did you do this?, I am thinking that maybe the internal battery is causing problems, does the unit work off the internal battery when not connected to your car? , if not it may need to be replaced again because a faulty battery can cause problems even when the unit is also connected to the car's battery, you could try temporarily disconnecting the internal battery and powering the unit externally to see if that fixes the screen problem

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 17, 2018
  3. FhvnEd

FhvnEd

It's been 5 years since the battery has been replaced, and it operates fine on both battery and 12 volt power, but I'll check it. Thanks.

FhvnEd, Dec 17, 2018
  4. FhvnEd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you can power the unit from the internal battery then it is probably OK., however disconnecting the internal battery temporarily will reset the unit, so it may be worth doing anyway

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 17, 2018
  5. FhvnEd

FhvnEd

Thank, I hadn't thought about doing that. I figure as long as I'm taking the thing apart anyway, I'll Just order a new battery as well. A follow-up when the mail arrives.

FhvnEd, Dec 17, 2018
Ask a Question