Nuvi Camera Alert stopped working

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by docramage, Feb 25, 2018.

1. docramage

docramage

I had a Nuvi 2598 for 2+ years, which is generally brilliant.

For the past few months it has stopped warning me about upcoming cameras. It still beeps if I am over the published speed limit. I no longer get camera icons displayed on the map.

I have updated my maps and my Camera database (today) successfully, and I find the three [safety_camera_uk] files correctly in the \poi folder.

I have of course ticked the Proximity Alerts box in Settings.

Would be grateful for any help.

Philip

docramage, Feb 25, 2018
  2. docramage

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would start with a full power off / on, with unit on press and hold the power button for 5 seconds until 'Turn off the Device Cancel / OFF' is displayed, select OFF, power back on with a long 'Power' press until display comes on

It is possible to test the speed cameras by storing a short trip in Apps >> Trip Planner that goes past a known speed camera and then run a simulation with Setting >> Navigation >> GPS Simulator >> On and Apps >> Trip Planner >> [Select short trip] >> Go >> OK >> Start >> Simulate Route

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 25, 2018
  3. docramage

docramage

After my alerts failed I did several complete resets, including those buried in the hidden menus which we are not supposed to know about. In other words, back to Factory default.

Thanks for the advice about saving a short trip to test specific cameras - I was unaware of that app - there are all sorts of uses that come to mind. It will save me a lot of fiddling!

On another forum someone suggested the POI files should be in the root directory (tho' for a different Nuvi). I have tried that but without success.

In my POI folder I have ONLY the three UK-specific files (.gma, .gpi. and .unl). I assume that all others are just other-country specific, and merely take up space.

Philip

docramage, Feb 26, 2018
  4. docramage

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Are you using the official 'Garmin Safety Cameras' or third party POI files containing speed camera info.?, for the former you would need to check the Settings >> Navigation >> Proximity Alerts >> Alerts >> Garmin Safety Cameras and for latter you would need to check Custom POIs from the same option screen

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 26, 2018
  5. docramage

docramage

Yes, am using my paid-for Camera subscription and download.

My Nuvi only has Audible Speed Alerts option in the setting Menu. There is no Proximity Alert under the Navigation menu

docramage, Feb 26, 2018
Ask a Question