Nuvi Models - Map Updates

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by 93celicaconv, Dec 30, 2022.

1. 93celicaconv

93celicaconv

I have a couple of Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS devices which have lifetime map update subscriptions. Given these devices will not work with a single map size greater than 2MB, the current map updates (like NT 2023.20) are getting more challenging to work with, even with separating content between the device and an SD card. Recent updates have impacted street names (now just showing the first letter of each street word name, followed by ...... after the first letters). I was contemplating purchasing an unused Nuvi 885T GPS in the hopes I would not need to dissect map into 2GB separate map sets. I contacted Garmin, and (of course) they will not modify my current lifetime map update subscriptions (moving it from the 660 to the 885T). Garmin customer support also said map updates after 2023.20 will not work at all on any Nuvi device going forward. Has anyone heard of that?

Does anyone who has a Nuvi 885T be willing to tell me how that particular model works with the latest map updates (do all the features of the 885T still work properly)?

93celicaconv, Dec 30, 2022
  2. 93celicaconv

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think it would be very unfair for Garmin to exclude all Nuvis from "Lifetime" map updates when some models could be 10 / 15 years older than others (not sure when the last Nuvi was sold), the most recent nuvi purchasers would be getting a very raw deal

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 31, 2022
  3. 93celicaconv

93celicaconv

I don't think Garmin is purposely excluding Nuvi's from future Lifetime map updates. I think what they are saying is that map updates may not work as well on old Nuvi's anymore. As I stated in my original post, my Nuvi 660's no longer display the complete street names like it used to - probably due to the way Garmin changed the maps for their newer GPS's. Everything else still works fine though. I was generally just upset that I couldn't transfer a purchased lifetime map update for one of my Nuvi 660's to another slightly newer GPS (the Nuvi 885T). Garmin transferred one of my subscriptions in the past, but they aren't willing to do it now. And I am worried a bit that the next map update may work less well or not at all on my older Garmin Nuvi 660's. Maybe I'm the only one still using those old GPS units yet. I sort of like them, but I could always use a cell phone if I need to.

93celicaconv, Dec 31, 2022
Ask a Question