Old guy needs enligtening

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by KAYPEE, Mar 8, 2021.

1. KAYPEE

KAYPEE

I have an android tablet that is a few years old and i would like to explore adding GPS to it to use on my golf cart as a range finder . I had a golf car in Florida with one fastened to the cart and it was very cool. I downloaded a couple of free apps and tried them on a S 5 Galaxy but apparently needs a data plan for the gps to work. I am new to this site and just want to try this before having to smash the piggy bank and buying a Golf Buddy or similar.

KAYPEE, Mar 8, 2021
  2. KAYPEE

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

What make and model is your android tablet?, most android tablets made in the last few years have GPS built-in so you might find you already have GPS, to try this out you need to install a free App. like this one :-
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.gpstest
    You will need to turn on 'Location' in the Settings menu

If you find that your tablet hasn't got GPS built-in, you can purchase a seperate Bluetooth GPS unit and then use an App. on your tablet that will talk to it, like this one :-
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=googoo.android.btgpsp

You don't need a data plan on your S 5 Galaxy to make the GPS work, the GPS system receives it's location information directly from satellites free of charge, it doesn't use the cellphone network at all, this is why you can have a tablet with a built-in GPS receiver that doesn't have a cellphone in it

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 8, 2021
  3. KAYPEE

KAYPEE

That is great i will mess with it a bit ---I tried downloading a golf program while on the internet and went out to the course and --nada So i will look at either a tablet that is newer or try the add on ! My S5 Samsung phone also didnt work when i turned off wifi at the golf course---still snow up here but want to get ready for golf!!!
    Vitamin GG

KAYPEE, Mar 8, 2021
  4. KAYPEE

KAYPEE

I am in the process of downloading on a samsung smt280 and will update when done

KAYPEE, Mar 8, 2021
  5. KAYPEE

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The need for access to the internet either via Wi-Fi or a cellphone network is not to make the GPS work, it is because the Golf App.or whatever you are running is trying to get extra info. from the internet it may be trying to download maps of the local area or to get other info. not held in the program itself

You can get other programs / Apps. that don't require internet acess at all, OsmAnd (free version) for example can download maps when you are at home (via Wi-Fi), you can then go to the golf course and have a moving display of where you are without contacting the internet at any time, you can run this App on both cellphones and tablets without a cellphone connection

The Samsung SM-T280 definitely has built- in GPS, install the gpstest App. post #2 (Above)

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 9, 2021
  6. KAYPEE

KAYPEE

awesome now all i have to do is wait for the snow to melt and mount the tablet to the golf cart.
    It looks like it will work however i may do a drive by the course to see if it picks up the course
    Thanks bunches

KAYPEE, Mar 12, 2021
Ask a Question