Older Garmin Nuvi 255W irretrievably crashed after map update

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by NathanD, Sep 8, 2022.

1. NathanD

NathanD

Hi all:

So I have a Garmin Nuvi 255W that had the original NA maps installed. Last week I put an SD card into it and updated to the current NA map installation. It worked fine for one trip out in the car, but then when I connected it to my computer, everything went wild. Windows 10 kept asking me to insert a removable USB drive over and over again until I removed the GPS. Unfortunately I didn't safely remove it. So now it just stays stuck on the "Loading maps" screen when it's not plugged into the computer, or it just stays stuck on the computer connection screen when I connect it, without ever becoming visible to Express or Windows as a USB Mass Storage Device. I've done all the regular things to try to get access to its file system (different cables, different computers, different computer ports, making sure the battery is charged), without any access to the device. So then I downloaded Updater, and tried to gain access that way. I opened a Cure file with Updater, connected the GPS and held down the upper left corner of the screen, saw that Updater recognized the device and right away tried to begin the flash process, but every time I do this, instantly when I hit OK in Updater, the connection with the GPS is dropped before the GPS can be flashed. I've tried many different combinations of actions but no success. I'm wondering if a different cure file would work. I'm using 082701000610cure. Once I gain access I'm planning to use 08270100061.rgn to properly flash the firmware after I delete the maps that seem to be causing the problem. I don't believe the unit is "bricked," but any help would be appreciated. I need to gain access to the device's file system to begin with.

NathanD, Sep 8, 2022
  2. NathanD

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would start by simply removing the microSD card from the 255W and see if the unit wakes up properly without it, the original NA maps should be on the main memory of the 255W, it would also be possible to examine what (if anything) has been written to the micoSD card by reading it on a computer card reader

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 8, 2022
  3. NathanD

NathanD

Thanks for your reply. I've actually already done all of that a number of times in combination with other attempts to access the device files. I'm literally past every easy fix and am at this point trying to flash the firmware to force my way in. Nothing else has worked

NathanD, Sep 8, 2022
Ask a Question