One Solution to Roadmate Map Update Failures

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by Woodskid, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Woodskid

Woodskid

Hi I made Content Manager work for my new Magellan RoadMate (Sept. 2018) by following his method in Windows 10. When Windows Installer gives you the option, install to C:/Magellan (so you can find the contents later). Go to that folder in Windows file explorer. Right click the file with the icon mngContentManger (it is a plug-in and not a program), select option of run as administrator. Double left click the same file. Now go to the latest version of Chrome browser. Visit the website :-

Code:
    www.smartgpseco.com

and log-in. Bingo, after a short spell, your computer should recognize your plugged in RoadMate and you can start the map update process. Note that you will need to eject the gps device when completed. If you want to revisit the update site for some reason, you will need to reboot and go through the process again. Worked like a charm for me after two days of tearing my hair out. Frank in Canada

Woodskid, Sep 9, 2018
  2. Woodskid

Woodskid

Credit where due, someone else led me to this. You may not need to right-click an run as admin. My system being windows 10. The correct file to 'activate' in the folder you created is the one with a icon, described as an application. The key thing to realize is that the Content Manager is not a program that shows up in your programs menu (where I looked for it) nor does it run automatically. You need to follow the process I describe or one similar. Love the product, frustrating process. Magellan please add a FAQ or other guidance for so many disgruntled new users. Sorry to seem tedious but this vexed me for some days. Hope it helps even one person.Note, you may be able to use other browsers but I think a current one is important.

Woodskid, Sep 12, 2018
Ask a Question