Oregon 600 power issue

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by padlnjones, Jan 26, 2023.

1. padlnjones

padlnjones

My issue is> when the screen is blank (dark) you can't tell if it is because the screen has timed out, or the unit is off completely.

Did I turn off the screen, or turn off the unit? If reality does not match my intention then I either lose data, if I had turned it off unintentionally, or the batteries die, because I did not turn it off when I intended to.

This has been an ongoing problem for me. years ago I contacted Garmin tech support and was basically ignored like a crazy uncle.

It seems like a few glowing red pixels for ON could solve this... It all hinges on the difference between a long press and a short press ON THE SAME BUTTON.

I concede there may be a way to tell that I don't know. anyone else experience the frustration of dead batteries in the morning because you THOUGHT you turned it OFF when you got to camp?

padlnjones, Jan 26, 2023
  2. padlnjones

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When you say 'the screen' are you referring to the display's backlight ?, I think that there maybe confusion because there are several different 'modes' :-
    1. Unit is off . . . Screen blank, with no location recording
    2. Unit on with no display . . . Battery save mode, with location recoding
    3. Unit on with no back light . . . Display visible in daylight
    4. Unit on with backlight on . . . Display visible at night
    If you can't see the display in daylight then I would say the unit is in either mode 1 or 2, you can eliminate mode 2 by turning Battery save mode off

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 27, 2023
  3. padlnjones

padlnjones

thanks for the reply...

usually, I am in #2, ON with no display, but recording. Functionally, this looks exactly like #1> OFF all the way... I would like some indication on the display when I am in #2 (just a red spot, please!) so I know I haven't turned it off entirely without intending to, which can happen if my short press on the power button is too long. OR, if I am trying to turn it all the way off and fail (Long press too SHORT) I have no way of knowing that happened until I wake up in the morning and the batteries are dead.

I use the Oregon 600 mostly for multi-day river trips, as much as 10-14 days, and the hiking we do from the river. I have started removing the batteries when I get to camp (less than ideal), as that is the only way I know to be sure it is OFF. I DO carry spare batteries with me... This seems like an ez fix by Garmin, given the will to do something about it. Or else, there is a solution I am unaware of....

padlnjones, Jan 27, 2023
  4. padlnjones

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It isn't possible to implement the 'red spot' because there are only 4 levels of power drain, the whole display is either on or off (you can't turn on just a small part of it), so you either run it in mode 2 or mode 3, if they added a separate very low power LED or LCD somewhere around the display it would be possible to have it come on in mode 2 only, but that is not going to happen

Maybe this 'Double Tap' may be of some help :-
    2023-01-27_12.39.44.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 27, 2023
  5. padlnjones

padlnjones

yes, thx, that makes sense... maybe add a separate power on light in a future model, if there is one.

I guess battery removal is the only way to be sure....

or, I can practice with the Power Button; think I will give that a try... thx for yr replies

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    padlnjones, Jan 27, 2023
Ask a Question