Oregon 700 gets hot while charging

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Fin Ito, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Fin Ito

Fin Ito

I have long experiece with Garmin GPS.. but now I have got the Oregon.. and the garmin NIMH battery pack.
    Its get very hot,.. i think.. both with PC and wall socket conection. Is it OK?

The last 6 years with map 62s/64st/64s.... with std NIMH (GP/varta) betteries... conected to PC only... and the unit didint get hot.

Fin Ito, Mar 10, 2018
  2. Fin Ito

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You are comparing two different things, the 62s/64st/64s units were not charging the batteries in the unit, so only a small amount of current was flowing from the batteries to the GPS, with the Oragon, this small amount of current is also flowing into the GPS but in addition to this a larger amount of current is flowing into the batteries.

You should expect the Oragon to get hotter when being charged, there are some notes in the user guide saying charging will only occur under the correct temperature conditions, this suggests that some temperature sensing is built-in to the GPS unit preventing over heating

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 11, 2018
  3. Fin Ito

Fin Ito

I was to quick here. But thanks for answere

I was talking about my new Oregon 700.

The 62 and 64 is never been charged via pc or wall socket.

Not long after i first pluged in my oregon with Garmin-battery.. i think was very hot...
    But when cahrging (wall socket) for some time... it did't feel that hot anymore.

And ofcourse I'm only charging in my home.. so correct temperature conditions is not sn issue

Fin Ito, Mar 11, 2018
  4. Fin Ito

fr8ys

Hi,
    I too have had this problem and am on my 3rd Oregon 700 since buying one in September. The first 2 both seized up and died during charging. There was no way to reset the units.
    Garmin swapped mine out and I have decided not to use the charging facility on my latest one and will now only use individual batteries charged outside the unit.

fr8ys, Feb 20, 2020
Ask a Question