Organising waypoints on my Garmin Drivesmart

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by johnash, Jul 27, 2017.

1. johnash

johnash

Sorry to hog this board at the moment! I am learning a lot and was struggling a bit with Basecamp until I found some useful videos online (not the Garmin ones as they are so out of date!).

Now, in Basecamp I can create folders then lists within folders to organise my waypoints and routes.

But when copied to my device (Garmin Drivesmart 51), they all appear in favourites and there seems to be no way in Basecamp to create folders to organise the waypoints and routes on the device. We have a big driving trip in USA coming up and there's going to be hundreds of waypoints. Can these not be categorised or organised somehow, I wonder? I used to create new POI categories in TomTom and copy the waypoints according to date or area.

Thanks for all the help provided so far!

johnash, Jul 27, 2017
  2. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes this is possible, I couldn't find a way of creating a sub folder on the Nuvi itself, but in Basecamp, if you double click on a Waypoint and select 'Categories', you can enter a folder name, (in this case IOW), when downloaded to the Nuvi you will then get a new folder i.e. :- Where To? >> Favourites >> IOW

fav-folder.jpg

fav-iow.png

It is also possible to create groups of POIs (Points Of Interest), and have them appear in separate folders under Where To? >> Categories >> Custom POIs

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 27, 2017
  3. johnash

johnash

Thanks. I shall look into this. I had already found categories and added that to several waypoints within Basecamp but when transferred to my Smartdrive (not Nuvi) the category did not appear on the device. However, for a Waypoint I'd created earlier within a folder on Basecamp, well, that does appear as a category and I think I have just discovered why. The waypoint I created earlier is for the map installed on the device itself. The later ones with category "Arizona" are for the USA map on my SD card. So I have a feeling that functionality is not available on "external" maps. Which is a bit of a blow. I need to investigate further and report back. Thank you again for your help.

johnash, Jul 28, 2017
  4. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 28, 2017
  5. johnash

johnash

I've been messing about some more looking at memory card and internal storage. And, at some stage, a category "Arizona" has appeared on the device! So progress. I now have to find out how that came about!

I'm getting to quite like Basecamp as there are lost of hidden possibilities (eg each route can have its own route options. Thank you for the help and I will report back.

johnash, Jul 28, 2017
  6. johnash

johnash

OK. You are absolutely right. I am not sure what I was doing wrong before. I can create a waypoint, give it a meaningful title, double click it, click on 'categories' tab, type in the name of category (I have now created "Nevada") and click the button, 'add category'. Provided that waypoint was created in, or copied to the Memory Card "User Data" folder, categories "Arizona" and "Nevada" now appear under "Where to" "Favourites". That's great as I can now properly organise my waypoints and get on with all the fun of planning our various routes. As I said before, something that was no longer possible with my newer TomTom!

Thank you!

johnash, Jul 28, 2017
Ask a Question