Phone UTM Northing Reading Discrepancy

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by zwidem, Sep 29, 2021.

1. zwidem

zwidem

Hi

Please assist somebody.

I am taking UTM coordinates using a Samsung Note 9+ and an app UTM Geo Map (looks like a good App). I had my land surveyed by a surveyor. I then compared the results of the two. Eastings measurements align - however the Northings are out by a constant factor of about 300m. I got a friend who has a hand held gps receiver and the readings confirmed the surveyors readings.

I am perplexed by this difference in these measurements. When I check my location on Google maps - the goole images line up with my location very well - meaning my GPS location is accurate.

Is there something on my app or device that I must adjust for? Maybe something to do with Zone as it reads 36K?

zwidem, Sep 29, 2021
  2. zwidem

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

All GPSs use a datum perameter, this shifts position coordinates sligtly to compensate for irregularites in the shape of the earth, most GPSs I have seen default to datum = WGS84 but there are many others, I would check that you are using the same datum in UTM GEO Map as the GPSs you are comparing with, in the App. you will find this in WORLD CRS from the main menu, Show Active CRS should show EPSG:4326 WGS 84, on a Garmin GPS this setting is typically found at :- Menu >> Setup >> Position Format >> Map Datum

If your GPS is using the same datum but you still see this error, I would try a different App. on your Note9+ to see if the error only occures when using UTM GEO Map

As you can see the 36K area is very big so changing a number or letter would move your position by 100s of miles

2021-09-30_12.01.06.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 30, 2021
Ask a Question