Picking GSM real time GPS tracker (for pets) - Australia

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Mori, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Mori

Mori

I have seen a lot of them state that you have to pick a "version" - USA, Mexico, Australia etc. Sometimes Australia would not be available. Does this mean I need a particular version of a tracker to work on frequencies particular to Australia?

I am thinking of getting the Petrek3G because the website is Australian and it is one of the smallest GSM trackers I have seen (I need it small enough for a cat). Others I have checked out are super bulky and often say they need a subscription from them in particular (weird if all you need is a SIM with data).

I have bought a GSM tracker before and neither I nor people I gave it to could make it work here in Australia. And the instructions were dodgy as hell.

Do I need to look for one that works in Australia in particular? If so, what am I looking for exactly? Frequencies covered by the device?

Thanks!

Mori, Dec 31, 2017
  2. Mori

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This website does not allow advertising of any products or services, including trackers, posts of this nature will be removed

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 1, 2018
  3. Mori

Mori

I was not aware mentioning a name was advertising. I saw people mentioning tracker names everywhere, so I thought it was OK. I am having trouble editing my post to delete the offending material.

There are products mentioned in your signature. What am I missing here? Did you read my post? I am asking for help, not advertising... I feel like I am missing something here. Feeling rather silly.

Mori, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Mori

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Please accept my apologies, there is nothing wrong with your post. I placed the note after your post because every time trackers are mentioned on this forum it is used by spammers as an excuse to place adverts for their products

In answer to your question, I would say that the only thing that would limit the use of a tracker to a particular country would be the cellphone network / frequencies that the tracker can operate on and the SIM cards it can accept

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 2, 2018
  5. Mori

Mori

I see. So I have to make sure the frequencies are 'local'. Maybe that's what they mean by Australian model, USA model etc. The tracker I have now stopped working and the company seems to have made a runner. I wonder if some satellites changed or something and the tracker did not update them.

The real-time GSM ones are like $280. I just want to be sure one I'm buying would work locally.

Mori, Jan 2, 2018
  6. Mori

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 2, 2018
    Mori likes this.
Ask a Question