Plotting routes on a ZUMO 550

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by bikerskier, Jun 24, 2014.

1. bikerskier

bikerskier

I am preparing for a 60 day motor bike ride later this summer and although I have used misc Garmin products for years, I have never used them with pre plotted routes. I now have a used Zumo 550 and want to learn the simplest and most efficient way to plot routes several days in advance and load them in the GPS, while enroute. Since this is 4 corner ride, I bought the latest full map set from Garmin and have it loaded on an SD card in the unit. I live on the west coast so it is currently set for the Western US. I assume at some point on my easterly ride, I will need to switch to the NE US map. Does it alert me to this or just watch for gobbledy gook on the screen?
    I want to take a new Mac laptop with me and had thought I would use MS Streets and Trips to plot routes and convert them to another format and move it to the unit, but I just read that MS Streets and Trips does not work on a Mac. My PC is old, large and heavy and I really do not want to take it. What are my options for this adventure?
    Thanks for helping this old rider with this confusing subject.
    Ralph

bikerskier, Jun 24, 2014
  2. bikerskier

sailordon

Use MapSource on a PC to plan your routes. Then transfer the saved routes into the Zumo 550 with the USB connection.

Sorry I can't help you with special maps or Mac issues.

sailordon, Jun 26, 2014
Ask a Question