Re-tasking old GPS

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by LagoonHead, Feb 15, 2024.

1. LagoonHead

LagoonHead

United States Archaeological Site #42LE561
    The magellan tritons were all the rave, but onlylasted about a year before their OS failed...
    This left all the people with device that turns on, boots to Win CE line editor and refuses to do anything but stare back... in awe of the incredible intellect of the human...

anyway being so smart, and living so far off the grid that jesus doesn't even come here... I decided to see if there were really any GPS afficianados on this forum board or if it was just a ruse like everything else on the net.

I got ahold of one of those really advanced ship to ship and ship to shore radios that shows the boat position when you hook up a GPS receiver.... and the old magellan came to mind.

The PC output is USB, and that means it's a fairly easy to understand interface.

What I would like to know,

is if the NMEA ins and outs are part of the USB pinout on the jack

------>and if they are, can I hook it up to my radio to use as a positioner source?

If not... why not? should I crack the case on the busted nut and see if I can hot wire it like some 1900's automobile?

Maybe hacking the GPS system is illegal and I don't know it?

When... in the name of zueses ahole... are they going to build something that works?

LagoonHead, Feb 15, 2024
  2. LagoonHead

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If your Tritons were working (which they aren't) you would need to place them into NMEA data comm mode using the menu screens :-
    2024-02-18_10.49.32.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 18, 2024
Ask a Question