recommendation request - GPS software

Discussion in 'GPS Software' started by lost_soul, Dec 2, 2015.

1. lost_soul

lost_soul

I have a LG G4 and would like to use it on my motorcycle and in the car as a GPS.

So far I am mostly dissatisfied with all the GPS software I have found on Google Play. Mapquest and Navigator are free but the quality matches the price. "Here GPS" seems OK but lacks waypoint features and importation of routes, etc.

What I really want is something polished like Primo for Android. Is there such a thing. Can I use the Tom Tom maps I've purchased for Navigator with it?

lost_soul, Dec 2, 2015
  2. lost_soul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Have you tried OsmAnd ? (See link HERE), this is a free version that will run on your LG G4 smart phone running Android, it uses free downloadable OSM maps for off-line navigation (you won't be able to use TomTom maps on it), The OSM maps are updated every few weeks so will never be out of date and OsmAnd has lots of features including down/uploadable Waypoints (Favourites/POIs) and routes

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 2, 2015
    MunozOak2158 likes this.
  3. lost_soul

xPosTech

I'm presently using MF Navigator, but also actively looking for something else. Navigator has a poor routing engine, at least to me. Once you do get a route adjusted to your liking it does a pretty good job.

Making slight detours doesn't phase it. By that I mean you can take a parallel road and it will not try to force you back to the road you left but will recalculate and merge you back to the route further down the line. I've tried some apps that will not recover from a minor deviation or missed waypoint and will forever try to route you back with u-turns etc.

It seems that route planning is the main problem with every app I try. It should be a simple matter to just drop a waypoint on a section of highway you would rather take than the one the app picked. Each app reacts a little differently. Some want to route you to the destination and then back to the waypoint. Some (Here) only give you three choices of routes to your destination (and those three can involve twisty farm to market 55 mph roads). Just guessing but you might like 75 mph sweepers more than the twisty ones. Or maybe not.

At any rate I've about decided that it will take two navigation apps. One for the route planning and one for the turn-by-turn directions, lane guidance, etc. and one for planning routes. I just can't find the perfect route planner.

I'm evaluating OsmAnd right now. Even bought the premium version. But I have yet to generate a satisfactory route with it.

I have found it's a pretty simple matter to force feed a route to these apps. ES File Manager will usually do the trick. You can also easily transfer groups of waypoints or favorite places between apps, too.

You didn't mention whether you needed online or offline apps. If online try either Google Maps or Waze. If you're doing any urban traveling the traffic and construction feedback is great. Down here in Texas there's just too many areas with no cell coverage for me to use an online app.

At any rate good luck. Hope you find the app you're looking for.

Ted

xPosTech, Dec 29, 2015
  4. lost_soul

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It's probably easiest to generate a route using something like Garmim Basecamp and export a GPX file into OsmAnd

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 30, 2015
Ask a Question