Recommendations on GPS for hiking

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by zachjm3, Sep 21, 2017.

1. zachjm3

zachjm3

Hello,

I have typically relied on my phone GPS, using google maps or the All Trails app, for guidance on hikes. Obviously really easy to use and I like the fact that you can find tons of previously marked trails and POIs. Major drawback is that once you get outside of civilization, the reliability goes way down and may not be able to get a signal.

I recently purchased the GPSMAP 64s based on some user reviews, but am having difficulty figuring out if it's even possible to find trails to upload to the device. I was able to download some free maps online, but they just have topography, streets, cities, etc. listed. I am hesitant to pay $99 for the garmin maps if they are no better.

That being said, I am wondering if it is even possible to add actual trails to the GPS (rather than just track my own progress). I was playing around with Base Camp and see that you can plot new courses and things like that, but would prefer to see existing trails on my map.

My questions would be: 1) Are there any resources out there for trails that can be downloaded? 2) Is the GPSMAP 64s a suitable GPS for this kind of use, or should I return it and go with something else (like on of the touch screen models)?

Any advice would be appreciated!

zachjm3, Sep 21, 2017
  2. zachjm3

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The GPSMAP 64s is well suited for hiking and it is possible to download Tracks, Routes and Waypoints to it using Garmin Basecamp. Have a look at the maps available from Open Street Maps, they are free to download and can be installed on Basecamp and then sent to your unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 21, 2017
  3. zachjm3

zachjm3

Thanks, I will give this a try

zachjm3, Sep 22, 2017
Ask a Question