Repair Magellan broken battery tab

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by CWGPS, Apr 30, 2017.

1. CWGPS

CWGPS

i have this Magellan exploring 610 and realized the batteries were badly corroded the device. I used white vinegar and q tips and cleaned much of it out, however, I broke the battery tab on one side. It won't work even with the tab in place, and I don't know much about this anyway, but how can I repair this and where would I find parts? It may not power on for other reasons, like the corrosion deeper in inside it? But I think I'd have a lot of disassembling to get all that out.
    It's only been used a couple times, sad that I left batteries in there and ruined it!!
    Thanks!!

Attached Files:

CWGPS, Apr 30, 2017
  2. CWGPS

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The best place to start is by determining if the unit will work when supplied by power, I would suggest connecting a battery holder to the unit, you will probably find two connectors at one end of the unit are connected to each other (in picture 1488 the two connectors nearest the camera), you don't need to use these connectors, you need to connect the battery holder to the other two connectors, NOTE:- the positive wire (RED) must be connected to the connector marked '+' and the negative connected (BLACK) must be connected to the '-' connector

2-batt.jpg

If the unit will work when connected to this battery holder, you will know if it is worth proceeding, you would need to either solder the broken connector back on (can be tricky), or replace it with something conductive, e.g. a small piece of metal, I would then suggest trying to prevent the batteries from moving about with something like Blu-Tack, to try and make the fix more reliable

Nuvi-Nebie, May 4, 2017
  3. CWGPS

Harold

Did you have any luck fixing it CWGPS?

Harold, May 19, 2017
Ask a Question