Reviving a Magellan Triton 400

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by Dale Cook, May 24, 2019.

1. Dale Cook

Dale Cook

After not having used it in several years I decided to try to revive my Magellan Triton 400 for the purpose of finding coordinates for field photography using a non-GPS camera. There is a GPS available for my DSLR body but it ties up the hot shoe, and for many field photographs I need the shoe to trigger off-camera speedlights through a wireless remote flash trigger.

I found that when I stopped using the 400 years ago I had not removed the batteries and that had caused a problem. One of them had leaked and that had corroded and broken the rivet that held that battery's spring to its plate, causing the spring to come loose. Fortunately I maintain a large stock of hardware for work and for hobbies. After I got things apart and cleaned up I selected a brass replacement rivet of the correct size from my stock and replaced the broken rivet. After some additional cleaning I re-assembled the 400 with new batteries and it worked fine.

One thing that I found disappointing is that although I have the NatGeo TOPO! Explorer DVDs I can't use them because the program for them has to access a now non-existent web site to operate. Has anyone found a workaround to get those DVDs to work, or found an alternative to get topo map images into the Tritons?

Dale Cook, May 24, 2019
Ask a Question