rhino 120

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by driller, Dec 31, 2015.

1. driller

driller

Hello
    i have a rhino 120 that has the software version 3.90
    this unit is approx 10 years old but is not used that often
    looks like brand new still.\
    the problem i am having is that it will not locate or lock on to any satellites anymore
    everything works as it should it just will not find satellites.

driller, Dec 31, 2015
  2. driller

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Early Garmin GPSs only used a 10 bit 'Week Counter' which meant that if the unit displayed a date that was more than 10 years away from the actual date, then it would never get a satellite fix, however I'm guessing this unit was built after Garmin went over to a 13 bit 'Week Counter' so this shouldn't be a problem with the Rhino 120, If the unit has not had a satellite fix for some time, it won't have a current almanac (information on where the satellites should be), GPSs without a current almanac will take considerably longer to get a 'fix', however it should still be possible by leaving the unit with a clear 'view' of the sky (no buildings / trees etc. present) for an extended period. It has been reported that a 'Full Reset' of the unit can help in these situations, this can be done from 'off' by pressing PAGE + ENTER + POWER at the same time until 'Do you want to erase all user data' is displayed, Please note that you will need to back-up any data on the unit that you want to keep prior to doing this reset. If the unit is faulty, e.g. the internal oscillator has drifted too far away from normal, then unfortunately the unit will never get a fix

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 2, 2016
Ask a Question