Route logging on a Motorcycle

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by isla, Aug 24, 2023.

1. isla

isla

Hiya,

I have just started using a cheap Android phone in Airplane Mode on my motorcycle trips as a Satnav running an app called Magic Earth with offline mapping. A friend suggested also running an app called GPS Logger in the background with which a route can be tracked and viewed afterwards on a PC.

This has been working flawlessly, however she previously used an old handheld Garmin GPS (sadly now faulty) mounted on the handlebars with which she could press a single button to log points of interest on the move. She says this was really useful for identifying things & places she had seen on road on a map afterwards - either just for identifying purposes or for planning to revisit them. She obviously misses this capability and I am keen to add it to my set up also.

I am aware of bluetooth buttons available cheaply that can be handlebar mounted and wondered whether anyone knows of any GPS logger/tracker apps that a button could be paired with? I have sent a message to the creators of GPS Logger to asked them and am awaiting a reply, but am also conscious that someone may well have been here before and an app already exists to provide this functionality.

Can anyone offer any know how & signpost me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance! :)

isla, Aug 24, 2023
  2. isla

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am not familiar with Magic Earth, but there are other Apps. that use off line downloadable maps that can be used as a satnav simulator and will also allow a map marker to be placed aywhere on the map and saved as a favourite , one I have used extensively is :-

https://osmand.net/

This App. has a free version and will provide very detailed and up to date maps supplied by Open Street Maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 26, 2023
  3. isla

isla

Okay will have a look. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2023
    isla, Aug 26, 2023
Ask a Question