RV760 crashes after POI update

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by rwwhite47, Aug 5, 2017.

1. rwwhite47

rwwhite47

I recently updated the maps in my RV760LMT and then installed the latest Low Clearances POI files as I have done many times in the past. The next time I rebooted the GPS, it went into a constant reboot cycle at the "Loading Maps" screen. Garmin had no cure for this condition and I was forced to sent the failed unit back for exchange. The Exchange unit failed in the same manner. I have received a third unit, which I have not mounted the Low Clearances POI files.

Contact with both Low Clearances and Garmin have not been too satisfactory. Garmin Customer Support has been able to reproduce the problem and admits that there isn't anything wrong with the Low Clearances files. I started working this issue in late June and have still not received any satisfaction from Garmin.

Has any other Garmin user experienced any issues like this, or is my experienced unique? I've seen many other posts on GPS forums with the topic of crashes and rebooting at the "Loading Maps" screen, so I have trouble believing that I'm alone in this.

rwwhite47, Aug 5, 2017
  2. rwwhite47

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There is always a problem when two companies are involved over compatibility issues, both blaming the other, I have had problems with non Garmin maps when my Nuvi reaches a particular location, (the unit turns off), but I have never had this problem with the official maps.

If the POI files had been written by Garmin there would be no argument about who is responsible for the problem, as it is, I would say that if 'Low Clearances ' claim your RV760LMT is compatible with their product, then they are responsible for fixing the problem, maybe 7000+ POIs is too many

Maybe you could contact the Garmin POI support team here :-
    [email protected]

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 5, 2017
  3. rwwhite47

rwwhite47

I've used the RV760 for many years with the Low Clearances POI database mounted and had no problems. After the latest round of map updates form Garmin and the latest release of the Low Clearances files, everything turned brown.

I expected the finger pointing, but I also expected that each party would attempt to verify that it was not their fault. Since the Low Clearances product was their work product, I didn't feel comfortable sharing it with Garmin. I suggested that they might help by sharing the POI file with Garmin. They did that and Garmin analysed the file and found nothing wrong. When they attempted to load it into one of their GPS units, they were able to recreate the problem, so I'd say that the issue is on their end.

The Garmin documentation makes no suggestion that there is a upper limit to the number of POIs a file can include, but that may very well be the case. After receiving the third GPS unit from Garmin, I loaded the POI file onto an SD card rather than into the base memory. Again the unit failed as before. I then removed the SD card and upon rebooting, the unit worked correctly. Having some professional experience in coding, it looks like the unit is allowing the POI file contents to overwrite some portion of the units operational memory. If that's the case, the problem is definitely theirs to own. One, if there is an upper limit, they should define it and two, the unit should always protect itself.

rwwhite47, Aug 5, 2017
  4. rwwhite47

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It would be worth splitting the POI file and testing the two halves separately, it looks like neither company has ever done this 'size' test

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 6, 2017
  5. rwwhite47

rwwhite47

Thanks again for the response. Good thought, but actually I did that at the onset. I took the original file and truncated all entries above 13' since my MH is 12'6" high. Later efforts were done with the entire file just in case I had somehow corrupted the data. I think that the ball is still in Garmin's court.

I'm actually still amazed that no one else has complained. I can't be the only RV760 user who uses Low Clearances POI files.

rwwhite47, Aug 6, 2017
  6. rwwhite47

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Have you tried older versions of Low Clearances with the latest maps?
    BTW
    I take your point that Garmin have examined the POI file and have not found a problem, but as far a I can see Low Clearances claim compatibility, whereas Garmin don't

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 6, 2017
  7. rwwhite47

rwwhite47

At this point, I have a working RV760 and am not comfortable mounting any POI files onto it least it become unusable like the others. I don't believe that Garmin sanctions the use of any foreign POI files except their own. They take the risk averse approach there. There's no magic to the POI files. They're just plain text .csv files with a few comment lines at the beginning. Really pretty hard to screw up.

rwwhite47, Aug 6, 2017
  8. rwwhite47

rwwhite47

After saying that, I do not know what would happen if the LAT/LON data in the .csv file was wrong. Maybe the Garmin software just goes crazy if the point data is screwy. I that's the case, both companies are liable, but the Garmin unit should protect itself, not crash.

rwwhite47, Aug 6, 2017
  9. rwwhite47

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you load the POI file into Microsoft Excel, you can sort the CSVs into Lat or Long order and check the highest and lowest values, e.g. for North America, North 25 up to North 70 and West 50 across to West 140, you may find a rogue location, I managed to upset a Nuvi by putting in co-ordinates for Africa while the unit only had maps for Europe, but the Nuvi didn't crash

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2017
  10. rwwhite47

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 22, 2017
Ask a Question