RV760LMT reinstall software

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by rwwhite47, Oct 22, 2017.

1. rwwhite47

rwwhite47

Does anyone with one of these units, or a Garmin GPS, know how to reinstall the operational software? Not the maps, but the software. Been dealing with an issue regarding the unit crashing after v5.40 and latest Low Clearances POI files were loaded. Would like to reload both to see if it fixes the problem, but can't find out how to back down to an earlier version or reload latest.

Thanks,

rwwhite47, Oct 22, 2017
  2. rwwhite47

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Here is a link to a site that stores Garmin (and non Garmin), software versions, you will find an 'rv' folder that may contain what you want, if you use any files from this site it is completely at your own risk, I can't vouch for this site in any way

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html

I would guess that you would have to install a previous version first before re-installing ver5.40

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 23, 2017
  3. rwwhite47

rwwhite47

Thanks for the response. I'll look at the link. I'm still at a loss as to how to load the software though. Seems like everything has to go through Garmin Express and it doesn't give you the option of backing down from a current revision.

rwwhite47, Oct 23, 2017
  4. rwwhite47

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm reluctant to give too much detail as there are many products and there may be lots of different software loading procedures, I don't have an RV760, on my Nuvi a downloaded file like Nuvi55_56_320.gcd would be re named to GUPDATE.GCD, this file would then be used to replace a file of the same name (after backing up the original to the computer) in the following location :-
    .System\GUPDATE.GCD
    Note that the folder .System is hidden and may require the computer to 'display hidden files' and not to 'Hide protected operating files', also the satnav requires MTP Settings to be set to 'Mass Storage' and not 'MTP Auto Detect'

Re-booting the Nuvi while not connected to a computer will display a 'New Software' message or an 'Older Software' warning when downgrading

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 23, 2017
Ask a Question