RV780+Traffic: powercord trfc receiver make phone pairing redundant?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Kirbo, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Kirbo

Kirbo

Recently purchased the RV780 "& Traffic" GPS plus BC30 backup camera.

The cam comes with BC30 power cable, which has a built-in receiver for cam vid and for traffic data.

I followed the setup, installed the Garmin Drive app for iPhone and paired the phone to the RV780.

I don't want the speakerphone features the RV780 intends to provide to the iPhone. I don't need voice commands to the RV780.

What I _DO_ want is robust traffic data for the RV780.

?Will the traffic receiver in the power cable provide traffic data without need of pairing the phone to the RV780?

I would prefer not pairing the iPhone to the GPS. I prefer the features enabled when the phone auto-pairs to the Mazda car.

The real question: what RV780 features are disabled if I don't pair the phone to the RV780?

Thanks in advance for your helping me understand these points.

Kirbo, Feb 24, 2022
  2. Kirbo

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes

However, I think Garmin claim that the Traffic data via smart phone is more comprehensive, Garmin use several different ways of getting traffic data into your device, they include using a live internet link via bluetooth to a smart phone, a one off (not live) download via Wifi usually done just before a trip and a live radio link using an attached radio receiver or a receiver built into the satnav, these 'links' supply different levels of Traffic info.

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 25, 2022
  3. Kirbo

Kirbo

OK! Thanks. That sounds reasonable that additional traffic data might be captured off the internet through a phone pairing. Thanks!

Kirbo, Feb 26, 2022
Ask a Question