RV890 Power Cable

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by RangerRick, Sep 20, 2021.

1. RangerRick

RangerRick

I just watched an install video of a Garmin RV890 GPS. In the video, the installer cut the power cord plug off and hard wired the unit to 12v. He said that he had checked and that this GPS uses 12v input. Can anyone verify that is acceptable?

RangerRick, Sep 20, 2021
  2. RangerRick

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Maybe you can supply a link to the install video you watched, as far as I can see the RV890 has a USB power connector (which is 5 Volts), it also has a 14 pin magnetic connector which couples with a mount that has a 5 Volt USB connector, the RV890 does control another unit called a Power Switch, this unit is connected to 12 Volts but it is a seperate unit to the RV980

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 21, 2021
  3. RangerRick

RangerRick

This is the link to the install.
    I posted a question to him and he says he has had it hardwired for a year now with no problems. The marking on the plug say 12-24 volt car charger On 320 01372 00 Input 10 30v Output 8 30v. My concern was if there were any internal components that made the adapter necessary.

RangerRick, Sep 21, 2021
  4. RangerRick

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It does look like there is a different vehicle power cable for the RV890, RV1090, Dezl890 an Dezl1090, so maybe they are different to all other Garmin models, my problem is with the connector that goes into the 890, the manual calls it a USB connector and USB IS ALWAYS 5 Volts, it just seems unlikely that Garmin would use a standard 5 Volt connector to supply 12 Volts, so is this plug a standard USB plug or is it a different shape ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 21, 2021
  5. RangerRick

RangerRick

That is what worried me as well.

RangerRick, Sep 21, 2021
  6. RangerRick

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

QUESTION
    So is this plug a standard USB plug or is it a different shape ? ? ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 21, 2021
  7. RangerRick

RangerRick

I am not at home now so I can't check

RangerRick, Sep 22, 2021
  8. RangerRick

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As RangerRick hasn't made it home yet I thought I would add some extra info. , some of this is only my guess so you need to check it out before proceding, it looks like the bigger RV, Dezl, OTR models have several power options, there is a standard USB connector on the unit itself, this is for 5Volts only, however it may be that the unit won't navigate when powered via this USB connector I am not sure, it may be for charging / data transfer only

These units also get power from the magnetic mount, I think the 14 way connector supplies 5 Volts to the GPS, some magnetic mounts have a full size USB (5Volt) output connector, this is to power a Garmin dashcam only, the mount has a non standard (10 way) power input connector, the cable that connects to it is a 12V (24V) car adapter, it is possible that 12 Volts is supplied to the 10 way connector and converted to 5Volts in the magnetic mount

Note : I have seen the special 10 way connector refered to as a USB cable, however it does not use any of the recognised connecters associated with USB and probably carries 12 Volts rather than 5 Volts, so in my opinion it id not a USB connector / cable

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 4, 2021
  9. RangerRick

Joe Rocket

Thank you for your analysis. Upon inspection with a loupe the "power outlet" (what we used to call a cigarette lighter socket) end of the factory supplied cable lists output as 8-30 volts @ 2.3 amperes. Not usb at all!

Joe Rocket, Nov 4, 2021
Ask a Question