Safe to use 12v always?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by gps newbie, Aug 25, 2015.

1. gps newbie

gps newbie

Pardon my stupidity, but is it safe to simply use the 12v charging cable for my car all the time while traveling w/ nuvi?

I can only see use for the battery when im out of the car adding favorites or car isnt on? Will the battery be ruined by not discharging fully and rechg" cycles? Will nuvi be harmed by only 12v use?
    Im just wanting clarity on use of 12v cable vs battery and for how long for safety of machine and battery?

Also is the garmin nuvi 57Lm battery replaceable?

Thank you for your assist .

gps newbie, Aug 25, 2015
  2. gps newbie

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Lithium Ion battery in your Nuvi should not be harmed by continuous charging via the USB power connector because Garmin build in over charge protection circuitry, in some cases the internal battery would not last for a single journey without re-charging. so continuous external powering is quite normal. It is possible to replace Nuvi 50 series batteries, however you will have to take the unit apart to get to it, there is a YouTube Video here :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF0qx_dhoDc

It would still be a good idea to use the unit on battery every so often to cycle the battery

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 25, 2015
  3. gps newbie

gps newbie

Thank you so much for the info, much appreciated. I have been using it on battery wearing it down once in awhile assumed it was like other things w/ those types of batteries thank you for confirming w/ me tho'. I really didnt know what having it plugged in so much would do so thanks. Eek that video looks tedious to do, Id prob take it to someone to try it. In my younger years (better eyes and dexterity, Id of gave it a shot LOL).

gps newbie, Aug 25, 2015
  4. gps newbie

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

How different rechargeable batteries are treated depends on their chemical make-up, earlier Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries suffered from 'memory effect' if not fully cycled, but later Nickel-Metal Hydride (MiMH) did not, the current (forgive the pun), Lithium Ion (Li-ion) batteries used in the Nuvi are used because they pack in more Energy Density (Watt hours per Cubic Centimetre) than previous ones, but they also have little or no memory effect and also have low self discharge (good inter-charge shelf life). Better batteries are being developed all the time like thin Film Lithium and quantum Batteries, so maybe your next Nuvi will have one of these in it :)

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 27, 2015
  5. gps newbie

gps newbie

:cool: thanks good info!

gps newbie, Aug 28, 2015
Ask a Question