Send vs import

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by hoghead, Jul 21, 2020.

1. hoghead

hoghead

I create a route on BaseCamp and send it to my device. When I turn on my GPS, it wants to import the new data. My question is, if it has already sent it to my GPS, what is the import doing? By the way, I know what to do so this is just curiosity. I just kind of like to know a little about how stuff works.

Another question for the same reason. When I create a route on BaseCamp, it gives me the option to send it to the memory e card (which I know is my micro sd card). I always send it to the sd card. But the other day I deleted all of the data off the sd card but noticed that it was still in my gps. So I guess my question is, when you send data to the sd card is it also sending it to the internal storage as well? I originally put a 16 g sd card in the gps because I was told the gps internal storage wasn't enough to plan routes on BaseCamp.

Thanks in advance,

Hoghead

hoghead, Jul 21, 2020
  2. hoghead

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

A few questions: -
    Q1) What is the model name / number of your GPS?
    Q2) Does the GPS only want to Import data when you have just sent a Route to it or every time you turn it on
    Q3) What exactly does the screen say when the GPS wants to 'Import Data'
    Q4) When you say 'I know what to do', what do you do?

If the Route disappears when you remove the microSD and returns when you put it back then the Route was stored on the microSD, if it doesn't then it wasn't

The size of a Route is many times smaller that the smallest map, so there is no problem sending them to internal memory

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 21, 2020
  3. hoghead

hoghead

Thanks for the response. Here are the answers:
    Q1) Garmin ZUMO 660
    Q2) The Garmin wants to import when I have sent it to the device from BaseCamp and then turned it on after disconnecting from computer.
    Q3) As luck would have it, I just sent a route to the GPS and when I turned it on, it didn't show me the window that says new data detected so I could tell you exactly what it says. This happens sometimes and I simply have to go to My Data on the Tools screen and then click Import Data and then select the trip I want to import.
    Q4) I import it, of course, I've done this hundreds of times over the course of years. I am very proficient at creating routes on BaseCamp and of course getting them on my GPS; better than anyone I know! So again I'm snot asking what to do, I was just hoping someone a little nerdier than me could explain the process of what is going on internally. To ask it another way, after you send a route to the device, what is happening internally when you import the data. I know you have to do it or you won't get your route. I actually have some thoughts on whats happening but I wanted to see it from someone who knows for sure.
    As for as your response about the microSD card, that seems like a no brainer but not entirely true. The data could be going to both the microSD card and the internal storage. I'm beginning to think that is the case.

hoghead, Jul 22, 2020
  4. hoghead

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you are sending the Route to the microSD card, then the 'import' maybe the process of copying of the file from microSD to the internal memory, this would explain why the Route is still present when you delete the data from the microSD, it looks like the Zumo needs to find this data on the internal memory and I guess if you send the Route to the internal memory to start with then you won't see the 'import' message

The point about Q4) was, do you have a choice?, does it say 'Import Data Y / N" or "Importing Data" and you select OK?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 22, 2020
  5. hoghead

hoghead

Wow. Thanks. That makes sense. I guess I've been creating an extra and unnecessary step. This opens up some new possibilities. When I go on long trips and don't have access to BaseCamp on a computer and I need more than 20 routes (that's all my Garmin will allow), I can carry an extra microSD card with more routes, delete the used routes off the GPS and put in the new microSD card and import.

Thanks again, this is a big help!!!

hoghead, Jul 22, 2020
  6. hoghead

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like the Zumo must use Routes from internal memory for some reason and this is probably why there is a 20 Route limit, I don't know why it was designed that way when a cheaper (and older) Nuvi can use both internal and microSD and has a higher Route limit, I don't know what the limit is but I have just downloaded 90 very small Routes to a Nuvi 56

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 22, 2020
  7. hoghead

hoghead

Thanks again. You have been very helpful.

hoghead, Jul 22, 2020
Ask a Question