Sharing tracks with geotagged photos

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by aleman83, Jan 15, 2017.

1. aleman83

aleman83

Hello everybody,

After searching the Internet for days with no avail, I would like to ask this community. I would like to create a hiking trail track that contains geotagged photos to assure hikers that they are at the right location, and also to share interesting landmarks with people using the track. I've found a way to geotag photos using oruxmaps creating photo waypoints.

Now the question. Is there a platform (like GPSies.com) that will alow to share gps tracks with photo waypoints? As far s I could see gpsies can not render the photos, and the track can not be downloaded including the photos.

Also if somebody knows a better way of creating and sharing tracks with photos and comments for others to use, I would be very greatful for pointers.

aleman83, Jan 15, 2017
  2. aleman83

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are two stages required to view Geo-tagged photos, the first is to obtain the tagged photos, there are several devices that achieve this, most smartphones will take pictures and insert a GPS location of the picture in the EXIF header using the built-in GPS receiver, you can also get digital cameras with in-built GPS receivers and I have recently purchases a Hero Go-Pro 5 Black that can also produce Geo-tagged still pictures.

If you don't have any of the above devices, you can add GeoTags to photos using a computer program such as :-

http://geotag.sourceforge.net

This program will read a GPS track file in *.GPX format and match the time stamps it finds with the time stamps held in the EXIF header of digital photos (you can also add an offset time to correct for the time on your camera being incorrect), The result is a new set of photo images that have Geo-Tagged EXIF header that can be used to locate it on a map.

The above program can also help with the second stage of the viewing process, because it can create a *.KLM file that will open Google Earth on a computer and display a series of waypoints, clicking on a waypoint can display a picture taken at that location, please note that the KLM file does not hold the pictures, it only points to a location on the computer's hard disk where the pictures are held.

The program can also display the waypoints and picture from within the Geotag program itself, here is as example :-

example.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 16, 2017
Ask a Question