Simplistic GPS

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by MHF, Aug 16, 2021.

1. MHF

MHF

I hade a hand held GPS back 20 years ago and have not had one since. All I remember is that if you were in timber and low elevations it would not work.
    Essentially, that is what I am looking for. A handheld GPS that would mainly be used for hunting and ALWAYS WORK under any elevation or canopy conditions. The bells and whistles honestly are not as important as my previous statement. I want to be able to set a home or waypoint and go and show my position at all time.?

Hoping someone cant at least point me in the right direction. I thought this would be a good place to start my research.
    Im not sure what all the hand held GPS units can actually do these days.
    Thanks

MHF, Aug 16, 2021
  2. MHF

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You are never going fo get an ALWAYS WORK GPS, they need to be able to 'see' the sky, so if you put it in a metal box it won't work, having said that there have been many improvements in the last 20 years, e.g. the receiver's sensitivity is better, there are now several constellations (groups) of satellites in addition to GPS e.g. Glonass, Galileo, Beidou etc, also SBAS satellites such as WAAS and Egnos.

These new features will greatly improve reception with tree cover / buildings etc. but there are no guarantees

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 17, 2021
  3. MHF

MHF

Thank you,
    So that being said, are there GPS units that have better receiver sensitivity than others to pick up GPS and constellation groups? Or are they all pretty close across the board.
    You always get what you pay for. Not interested in much from the unit other than tracking.
    Does that mean a lower priced unit has less features, durability, etc. but has equivalent sensitivity to higher priced units.?
    Thanks

MHF, Aug 17, 2021
  4. MHF

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Personally I think the extra cost is taken up by ad-ons to the GPS functionality rather than adding greater navigational accuracy, so I think your last statement is just about right

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 18, 2021
  5. MHF

MHF

I appreciate your time. Thank you

MHF, Aug 19, 2021
Ask a Question