SmartDrive 61 memory question

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by painless, Nov 16, 2019.

1. painless

painless

I'm using this unit for work, and I have a LOT of way points to enter for customers.
    Recently, while adding a new group of stops, I apparently hit the max for stored places. So, I purchased an SD memory card to up my storage capacity.
    Currently I'm showing 7.63gb available on the internal storage (of a total of 14.3gb) and 119.2gb available on the memory card. However, I'm still seeing the "Memory allotted for saved places is full" message.

With all this free memory, is there a way to take advantage of all that space? Perhaps change the allocation for saved places, of have them save to the memory card instead of the internal storage?

painless, Nov 16, 2019
  2. painless

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think the problem here is in the message "Memory allotted for saved places is full", Waypoints take up a very small amount of space compared to maps and as you have discovered lack of 'general' memory space is not the problem, I can't find a Waypoint limit for the Smartdrive61 but some Nuvis can only handle 1000 waypoints, is this around the number of Waypoints you have on the unit?

Some units will allow Tracks to be downloaded which can contain many thousands of individual Waypoints, however, satnavs usually only accept Routes rather than Tracks, Routes also contains Waypoints but they are only used to change an automatically generated 'Autoroute' along existing roads so they are limited to less than a hundred per Route

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 16, 2019
  3. painless

painless

Just checked, and that's correct - I have 999 saved places in the unit.

Is there a way, perhaps using Basecamp, to easily transfer saved places between the unit and my computer? If that's the case, I suppose I could break my client list down into regions - maybe by city or county - and plug them in when I'm working that area.

Of course, the best answer would be a way to up the limit from 1000 to 2500 or more.so that I can have them all, all the time.

painless, Nov 16, 2019
  4. painless

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, there no limit (as far as I know) to the number of Waypoints you can have in Basecamp, if you run Basecamp with the Drive61 plugged into the computer all the waypoints will be displayed in the lefthand column, it should be possible to 'select all' and then export the selection to a file called Way1.gpx, clear all waypoints Basecamp and then repeat the process to create Way2.gpx, you can the re-name the Way(x).gpx files to Current.gpx and then replace the following file on the Smartdrive61 internal memory folder :- [internal memory folder] >> GPX >> Current.gpx

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 16, 2019
Ask a Question