StreetPilot 2720 Date Wrong

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by ega95jch, Mar 14, 2020.

1. ega95jch

ega95jch

Hi

I've just noticed that my 2720 is showing "28-JUL-00" as the date. I'm assuming that this is something to do with last year's Week Number Rollover. The actual time and navigation functions seem to be OK.

I've done two hard resets, reinstalled software v7.20, deleted all maps, waypoints and POIs, all to no avail. I've left it switched on in my vehicle for several hours, and this hasn't worked either.

Ordinarily I wouldn't worry about this too much, as it only seems to affect automatic daylight saving time settings. Indeed, I probably used it all last summer without even noticing. However, when I turn on my 2610 units, they're not similarly affected. This puzzles me, as the 2610 is a much earlier and less sophisticated unit.

I've emailed Garmin support, but I thought I'd try here in the meantime. Any wisdom gratefully received!

ega95jch, Mar 14, 2020
  2. ega95jch

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It does sound like a week rollover problem, the only fix would be a newer version of software if it exists, if the unit gets a satellite fix I think that internally it has the correct time / date, so only the display date is wrong, you may also find that the date stored in any recorded Track data may also be wrong

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 14, 2020
  3. ega95jch

ega95jch

Many thanks for your quick reply. The software is the final version, which dates back to 2008. What I find baffling is that the 2610 works just fine, but the final software release was two years earlier, in 2006.

I was going to buy a backup 2720 on eBay, but I'll hold fire until I hear from Garmin.

ega95jch, Mar 15, 2020
  4. ega95jch

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It is hard to say which 'older' units will be affected because sometimes the problem only arises when the unit is reset either by performing an 'Erase All Data' option or by the unit falling back to a 'Factory Default' due to main battery / backup battery failure

This means that in some cases two identical units built at the same time and running the same software can act differently because one unit has been continuously powered (internally) and has incremented the year correctly, while the other has flipped back to it's original 20 year 'window'

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 15, 2020
  5. ega95jch

ega95jch

But that can't be the case here, as neither the 2720 nor the 2610 have internal batteries. They've been used regularly and powered by 12v in the vehicle.

Someone on another forum has suggested that I can manually reset the date, but I can't see any way of doing this on either unit.

ega95jch, Mar 15, 2020
  6. ega95jch

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin supplied a computer program called GpsEow that will change the date on some older units, I have used this on a GPS38 however I don't think this will work on your 2720, (see link in post #2 above)

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 15, 2020
  7. ega95jch

ega95jch

Thanks, I saw that. I guess the serial port will be the problem.

Garmin have replied saying it is probably a rollover problem, but they can't (or won't) help because the unit is no longer supported. I've replied by saying my 2610s are working fine, and asking if anyone there might have an idea, but I'm not holding out much hope.

ega95jch, Mar 16, 2020
  8. ega95jch

ega95jch

Update:

Because I love the 2720 so much, I've got another (cheaply!) off eBay. Lo and behold, there's no problem with the date on this one! I've configured both units identically, right down to the customisable tabs. The software version is the same (v7.20), but still the date error persists with the first unit.

The only difference I can see is that the installed maps are different. The first unit has CN Europe NT v9; the second has CN Europe NT 2010.10.

Could the v9 maps be causing the date error?

ega95jch, Jun 13, 2020
  9. ega95jch

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No I don't think it will be the map difference, every Garmin GPS I have ever seen has had some sort of data storage that retains information from previous satellite 'fixes', this stores time / date, location, almanac etc, usually this data is retained with the use of a backup battery or large value capacitor, depending on the size of this backup battery different functionality is maintained, so in hand held GPSs when the main batteries are removed the unit won't work, however the backup battery is still retaining data, on In-car satnavs that are powered from the car, there is usually an internal backup battery big enough to allow the satnav to function for an hour or two, if your satnavs won't work at all without the car's power, it does not mean it does not have a backup battery, it just means it has a smaller backup battery that only retains data

If the backup battery is allowed to lose all its power or the Non Volatile Memory that holds this data is cleared, then the unit will lose time / date, location, almanac etc., this usually isn't a big problem, it just takes the unit longer to get a fix, however older unit will only have 20 year 'window' of time and the current 'window' will be reset to the date of manufacture
    2020-06-14_12.52.36.jpg

I suggest that your 2720 is connected to an external power supply regularly in order to charge the internal backup battery, once the current date is lost, you won't be able to correct it

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 13, 2020
Ask a Question