terrible charging on 66ST

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by NickP, Jul 8, 2023.

1. NickP

NickP

The 66st is designed to be charged with the rechargeable batteries in the unit. Normally I plug the cable into a USB port on my desktop computer. More often than not, after a few days, and when I want to use it, it isn't charged. I then end up taking the rechargeable batteries out and putting alkaline batteries in.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get a dependable charge in this unit?

I've also watched the battery meter and it seems to drop to 50% fast, yet I haven't had it run completely out of power

NickP, Jul 8, 2023
  2. NickP

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The power available on a computer USB 2 socket is only about 500mA, so it is relatively low powered, (USB 3) is better but is still only about 900mA, I would recommended a mains to USB charger of say 2A (2000mA) for quicker charging.

The GPSMap66 (64, 65, Oregon etc.) will only charge this Garmin Battery pack :-

2023-07-08_16.39.15.jpg
    Fig 1

If you put standard AA rechargable batteries in the unit they will not be charged because they will not detected as rechargables, the batteries needs to activate a hidden switch in the battery compartment, it is possible to charge standard rechargable AA batteries in the unit by inserting a piece of plastic to operate this hidden switch

DSCN3954s.JPG
    Fig 2

DSCN3956s.JPG
    Fig 3

Most Garmin units have a setting for different battery types, so if it is setup for NiMH and you are using alkaline batteries (or vice versa) you will see this happen.

Setup >> System >> Battery Type

NOTE:- If the Garmin battery pack is detected by the hidden switch then the 'Battery Type' option is removed

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 8, 2023
Ask a Question