tomtom or garmin sat-nav?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by lee coles, Oct 12, 2015.

?

tomtom of garmin sat-nav?

1. tomtom

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. garmin

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. lee coles

lee coles

the question is fairly straight forward...

lee coles, Oct 12, 2015
  2. lee coles

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

At one time I would have gone for TomTom, as Garmin had out dated and less sensitive GPS receivers, they gave little or no information about their products and had limited features compared to TomTom. However current Garmin sat-navs have comparable or better GPSRs that receive from multiple constellations of satellites and have comparable or better features, in my opinion, for me though the outstanding feature of Garmin sat-navs is the ability to install non Garmin maps on their products such as the free Open Street Maps etc, I don't think this is possible with TomTom products. Oh I almost forgot, I still own a TomTom that randomly turns itself on without the user knowing, this destroys the internal batteries, as they are constantly being 'flattened'

BTW

I'm assuming that the OP is referring to a choice between TomTom and Garmin sat-navs rather than general GPS devices as TomTom primarily produce sat-navs, I can alter the thread title if you like

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 12, 2015
  3. lee coles

lee coles

go for it. I thought garmin had improved vastly myself compared to what they seemed to be like several years ago. Very poor usability back then!

lee coles, Oct 13, 2015
  4. lee coles

Greg Lee

I just bought a Garmin 55LM because it was on sale for $80 from Amazon.

Greg Lee, Nov 19, 2015
  5. lee coles

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 20, 2015
  6. lee coles

Greg Lee

I'll be sure to update it when it arrives, in a week or so. I had intended it as a Christmas present for my wife, but I may have to give it to her for Thanksgiving, so I can use it earlier.

Greg Lee, Nov 20, 2015
  7. lee coles

Greg Lee

It arrived this morning, and I'm trying to use Garmin Express, but I just get a message that my device can't be added because "our servers are unavailable". Is this usual?

NEVER MIND! I looked up this error, figured out that it was becaus my Windows was set to use a proxy server (don't know why), turned that option off, and now I'm registered and updating.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Greg Lee, Nov 23, 2015
Ask a Question