TomTom Smart 52 satellite connection

Discussion in 'TomTom GPS' started by BarryCambs, May 26, 2023.

1. BarryCambs

BarryCambs

Sorry if this has been asked before, but the search didn't bring anything up.

My TomTom Smart suffered complete battery failure about 3 years ago. I finally got round to fitting a new battery and it started up without problem. It did still say it was in France where it stopped working. I updated the maps and with Connect and everything seemed fine, but it just won't find a satellite connection. I've done a factory reset and the full recovery procedure, but still no luck.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Barry

BarryCambs, May 26, 2023
  2. BarryCambs

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

GPSs store some info. about where the satellites should be in the sky in order to get a 'fix' quicker when first switched on, however this (almanac) info. is only usefull for a few weeks, so if the unit hasn't been turned on for a long period the stored almanac data of no use, the situation is made worse if the GPS had been moved since it last got a fix and the GPS does not know the correct time any more.

You need to place the fully charged TomTom outside in an area away from trees / buildings etc. for an hour or so, it should not be moved during this time, this will give it the best chance of getting a 'fix', once it knows where it is it will update the almanac and the time / date so it should not need this treatment again

Nuvi-Nebie, May 26, 2023
  3. BarryCambs

BarryCambs

Thanks for the information. It could be 4 years since it was last used and that was in France. I left it on in the conservatory earlier and after a couple of hours , it was connecting intermitently! I'll give it some time in the garden tomorro as you suggest.

Thanks for your help, Barry

BarryCambs, May 26, 2023
Ask a Question