Transferring Garmin Voices between Units

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by WileECoyote, Jan 9, 2024.

1. WileECoyote

WileECoyote

I have an ancient Nuvi 8. Years ago, I bought the Bert and Ernie voices for use on that unit. Is it possible to transfer the voice over to my more modern Nuvi 2639? I tried copy-pasting the .vpm and the .unl files from the Voice directory of one unit to another. That didn't work.

Are the old voices not compatible with the new models? Thanks in advance.

WileECoyote, Jan 9, 2024
  2. WileECoyote

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would expect *.vpm files copied from one /Voice folder to another to be readable by a newer unit as long as the files are place where the unit expects to find them, eg. sometimes /Voice in the root (top) folder and sometimes it under the /Garmin folder, there are two types of voice file, one contains a fixed set of words such as 'Turn Right', the other type called a TTS (Text To Speech) voice will 'speak' any word, this is so that it can pronounced any street name, however I would expect the 2639 to be able to handle both types of voice file.

It has been reported that older vpm files such as 'Jack' and 'Jill' will not work on newer units, also some premium voices are locked to a single unit, so if you are sure the files are in the correct location it may be that they are not going to work on your newer unit

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 9, 2024
Ask a Question