Trimble GeoXH 6000 predictive text slow

Discussion in 'Other GPS Devices' started by JoeB, Dec 23, 2015.

1. JoeB

JoeB

I am having some lag annoyances with the Trimble GeoXH 6000 running TerraSync 5.70 in the field lately. Satellite fixes are as expected, but the unit is hanging up a lot when I am entering text attributes into a text field while logging positions of existing features (updating position-less features).

I think the unit is getting bogged down trying to recall and list all of the “predictive text” for each character I enter. I will often type in a string of characters and not get any visual feedback for up to a minute, during which time the screen is unresponsive and even the positions logged counter hangs and then catches back up after all the characters have appeared in the text field.

As this has gotten worse I wonder if there is a predictive text cache that is getting full that I can empty periodically. Or even just turn that feature off. Maybe a Windows Mobile (version 6.5 Professional) setting?

Maybe there is a more macro memory dump I need to be doing as all of the GUI responses seem to have slowed down, predictive text just being the slowest.

JoeB, Dec 23, 2015
  2. JoeB

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It's hard to say if there are simply too many processes running at the same time or whether just one process is hogging all the CPU time, however users do frequently ask how to turn off predictive text (also called auto complete), so if this is your only problem, you can turn it off as follows in Windows Mobile 6.5 :-

Start >> Power Tools >> Reg Edit >> Hkey Current User >> Control Panel >> SIP >> click on Suggested Words >> Value Data = 0 >> OK >> OK. It has also been reported that this procedure may need to be carried out twice before Reg Edit stores the change. If you need to turn auto complete back on set Value data back to the default value of 4.

Please be careful while you are in Reg Edit, it can screw-up the operating system if you change the wrong perameters

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 23, 2015
  3. JoeB

JoeB

Thanks for your input, Nuvi-Nebie. Unfortunately, there is no "Power Tools" application installed on my device.

However, I did find:

Start >> Settings >> Personal >> Input >> scroll to "Word Completion" >> "Suggest words when entering text" , "Clear Stored Entries", and "Enable Auto Correct".

'Sounds a little safer than your method. I am about to go out in the field and test this, along with deleting some older files (there weren't many).

JoeB, Dec 23, 2015
Ask a Question