Trimble R8 radio communication issues

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Julia, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Julia

Julia

I have been using the Trimble R8 in RTK mode and have been having some issues with the radio link between the base receiver and the roving receiver. Firstly, I have managed to get the RTK to work with no issues at a coastal location(1) , and in the middle of campus. However, when it was set up exactly the same way (and with the same survey style) at a remote location on a different stretch of coast(2), far away from any towns or infrastructure, the base and rover receiver would not communicate with each other - i.e. a cross through the radio icon on the controller. I then tried to use the RTK again at the coastal location(1) and it still didn't work. I tried it again on campus (same set up and survey style etc.) and it worked.

The distance between the base and roving receiver shouldn't be the problem; different distances were used during all attempts.

The Trimble does not have an external radio, but I have been using a longer external antenna.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue may be?

Julia, Jan 13, 2016
  2. Julia

Jordan

No idea we have been experiencing similar issues between an R10 - R8 RTK mode. Some days we can't get a radio link only 150m away!! And that's with somewhat clear visibility i.e clear rural road. We've sent our instruments away to the manufacturers to look at, to no avail. I've come to the conclusion Trimble have bad bad radios. And that's it.

Jordan, Mar 21, 2016
  3. Julia

Julia

Hey there,
    I figured out what my issue was. I'm using it at my University, it turns out that although the Base and the Rover radio settings were the same, they were actually set up to a different base radio that both of them were communicating to (4km away!), but not each other. I'm not sure what your experience level is (I've just been learning), but it might be worth checking what the base radio is, and if your rover is talking to the right one.

Julia, Mar 21, 2016
Ask a Question