Trimble Scoutmaster cannot detects satellites

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Szasza, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Szasza

Szasza

Dear GPS friends

I've ordered an used Trimble scoutmaster GPS from Ebay. The seller described it like a fully working device. Its original location was in the US and I living in Hungary/Europe. The previous owner held it in box since ages and didnt used it. So the battery is comletely deleted.

When I own it the device is not found any satellite. Then I did a factory reset on it and I leave it outdoors (in switched on state) to be collect new almanach and find satellites. Unfortunately this was not successful. After this I send it to a GPS service and the tested the embended and external GPS antenna also. the worked properly.

So I think , I should est something to fix the issue, but I dont know what?

Do somebody have an idea what should I set to make it work?

Szasza, Jul 10, 2014
  2. Szasza

Larry Scott

I have an early model scout master and it works pretty well. I sometimes don't turn it on for years. After a couple of years it may take 45 minutes to sort out. One thing that scout master does not sort out is the date. It is 1024 weeks behind and the gps time is about 2 seconds off.

But its location is still accurate. When I turn it on I sometimes take my Garmin out too so that I am sure that satellite reception is good. The scout master's sensitivity is not nearly as good as current generation receivers. So be sure to try it in optimal conditions.

Larry Scott, Aug 16, 2014
Ask a Question