Unable to connect to google earth

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by thistlebarrow, Feb 16, 2017.

1. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

i have a garmin etrex 10 and use BaseCamp and MapSource. Until recently I have been able to view tracks and routes on Google Earth. But when I tried to do so yesterday i got a message that i had to download Google Earth. It was already on my computer, and was switched on when I got this message.

I have uninstalled and downloaded Google Earth again, but get the same message

Any suggestions please?

thistlebarrow, Feb 16, 2017
    ARIS likes this.
  2. thistlebarrow

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There have been several reports of this, it appears newer versions of Google Earth won't allow Garmin products to 'see' it.

One sollution is to open / run Google Earth before you try to access it from Basecamp / Mapsource.

Users have fixed this by installing an older version of Google Earth, also there is a Garmin link below that shows a registary fix for this :-

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?283899-Google-Earth-and-BaseCamp

Depending where Google Earth resides on your computer, one of the following command lines has been reported to fix this :-
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth Pro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer
    (works with Google Earth Pro in Win 7...10)

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Google\Google EarthPro\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer
    (Google Earth Pro in XP)

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer
    (Google Earth in XP)

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 16, 2017
  3. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

I have tried launching Google Earth first and then opened MapSource and BaseCamp but it still says I have to install Google Earth.

If there anywhere I can find an older version of Google Earth?

I didn't really understand the second part of the answer about a "registary fix".

Is this likely to be corrected by a later update of Google Earth, or will I just have to manage without Google Earth?

I live in Spain and there are no maps available for my area. So I will really miss Google Earth.

4. thistlebarrow

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

For the registry fix, you need to find where Google Earth is on your computer, if you right click on it's icon and then click on properties you should see a line that says 'Target', like this :-

GE1.jpg

If you right click on the text and click on 'Select All' then ' Copy', you will capture the full path to Google Earth, next click on the Windows Start icon (bottom left of screen) and select Run ..., in the OPEN window right click on the text box, select paste to inset the text you copied into the text box, it should look like the examples above, on the end of this text add a space followed by /RegServer and then click on OK

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 16, 2017
  5. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

I followed your instructions to find Google Earth properties. My screen looked slightly different from yours above.
    In the Target box it said
    "(x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe"

In the Start in box it said
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\"

The Start in box looks more similar to your illustration.

Should I use Target box or Start in box?

6. thistlebarrow

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

In your case it's a mixture of the two because you need the full path to the *.exe file, the command that you should enter in the Run ... window is :-
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 16, 2017
  7. thistlebarrow

thistlebarrow

I did what you suggested and got the following message

"COM registration failed (user may not have adminisgtrator permission). Other programs (e.g. SketchUp) may not worrectly with Google Earth"

thistlebarrow, Feb 17, 2017
  8. thistlebarrow

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You may have an option to login to your computer as administrator or as a different user with administrator permissions, if not you could try changing your permissions, however I don't think you can give yourself a higher level than you current are, it's a bit 'chicken and egg', the setting will be something like :-

Start Menu >> Control Panel >> User Accounts >> Change my Account (or Create an account) >> click on account name >> Change my account type.

If the SketchUp program has been installed recently, it may be the cause of your problem, as it appears to be conflicting with Google Earth, it may be worth temporarily removing it to see if it makes a difference

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 18, 2017
  9. thistlebarrow

Vecharo

Use the line Nuvi laid out but put it in the CMD prompt (admin).
    Using Windows 10
    -Copy the Google Earth target location (with the /RegServer ending) --->
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer

-Right click on the start icon and choose Command (admin).
    Then paste that line and hit enter.
    Close the CMD prompt
    Launch Google Earth
    Launch base camp

Vecharo, Apr 8, 2017
  10. thistlebarrow

kanacuk

Workin also with Homeport!!!
    thks!!

Happy

kanacuk, Apr 11, 2017
  11. thistlebarrow

gino

Below is the result I get trying to resolve connectivity problem between google earth pro and my Garmin 62s. Any thoughts ? Thanks

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer
    At line:1 char:70
    + ... ram Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServe ...
    + ~
    You must provide a value expression following the '/' operator.
    At line:1 char:70
    + ... am Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer
    + ~~~~~~~~~
    Unexpected token 'RegServer' in expression or statement.
    + CategoryInfo : ParserError: :)) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExpectedValueExpression

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer

gino, Oct 10, 2017
Ask a Question