Unable to update map on Lifetime map paid for Magellan 2120T

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by WindsorGirl, Mar 25, 2014.

1. WindsorGirl

WindsorGirl

I am unable to update the map on my Magellen 2120T GPS.

I do everything correct (I was able to update it when I first bought this last year) but now I am unable to. I have even followed the steps according to the Magellan official Youtube video tutorials but once I hit update to get the map (as it does detect that there IS an update available for maps for my GPS) it brings me to their website and only gives up the download for the software which I already downloaded and installed. I launch the new software and the cycle repeats.

Here are images:

The Magellan software (updated)
    i.imgur.com/dX2xc7s.jpg

I hit update and it brings me to magellangps.com/Vehicle-Navigation/Vehicle-Navigation-Maps where I then have to select my GPS version
    i.imgur.com/soOwxcp.jpg

Since I am running in circles I attempted to submit a support ticket to Magellan and I canNOT be sure if it did successfully submit because I got this message: "Invalid assigned reference key 4192698."
    i.imgur.com/cr3r5fE.jpg

Can anyone help me to figure out how to fix this or what is going on? I don't know where else to turn at this point except calling them up.. :(

UNRELATED but just observations on the forums:

P.S. I did not know I had to have 20 posts to post links and images so I edited... I only came here for support not really chat..

P.S.#2: Wow links work anyway as long as I don't put them in url tags? Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Ah but if I edit then the links are no longer linkable. Oh wait .. when I came back this thread they were linkable again..

Anyway hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    WindsorGirl, Mar 25, 2014
  2. WindsorGirl

WindsorGirl

I have went through 3 people in email tech support and they have been unable to help me so now they simply do not answer my emails. Yeah GREAT customer service. I have not gotten mad or impatient with them and have been completely professional and patient and yet even though it is on their end their last email to me was that they can't figure it out and that I can give them my phone number and they will call me .. I gave them it a month ago and still no call. Someone told me they had the same issue but got help when they went to the Live Chat on the site. I will try that next but this has been such a discouraging and frustrating process that I will not buy Megallen again.

WindsorGirl, Jun 9, 2014
  3. WindsorGirl

KekoLovesGPS

Some Magellan products are not bad just the car gps products are bad hiking and hunting products are better. Get a Garmin or TomTom gps unit way more reliable.
    Did you pay a lot of money for lifetime maps? If so they must help you if they don't things could get messy call them one more time and see.
    If they don't help you probably can sue them for bad customer service and if they said lifetime map update forever as a Guarantee you could sue them just saying probably don't do it will get MESSY! Just use Garmin products from now on. Hope this helps.
    KekoLovesGPS

KekoLovesGPS, Jul 26, 2014
  4. WindsorGirl

WindsorGirl

After I took my complaint to their facebook they ended up sending me a new one / refurbished one with lifetime map updates and all the latest updates already on it. It works. At least I did not have to pay for shipping the old one to them. :) The thing is it took them so long to come to that point that I ended up buying a Garmin (which I am very happy with) lol.

WindsorGirl, Jul 26, 2014
  5. WindsorGirl

KekoLovesGPS

Good for you hope you stick with garmin! KekoLovesGPS.

KekoLovesGPS, Jul 31, 2014
  6. WindsorGirl

dave61430

Hope Mine will Work Better

Thanks, I've just ordered a refurbished 3030LM since my TomTom is getting a bit old (2010) but works well and if the map was updated would keep using.
    Didn't like my daughter's old very basic Garmin. This unit was on sale for $45 so I thought I would give it a try just for the heck of it.
    Note Garmin uses NAVTEQ, TomTom and Magellan use TeleAtlas. The former is considered better for US while the other is better in Europe. However, Google is now using TeleAtlas so I would expect to see an improvement.
    I'll post back after I get my unit on the update issue.

dave61430, Aug 3, 2014
  7. WindsorGirl

Rick_E

I realize this is an old thread but I will relate my fix for this issue to possibly help others. I also had only the "Buy" button when updating a Roadmate 5120-LMXT. I submitted an email to Magellan support with my serial number and they fixed the issue by correcting an entry in my account in their database. Once they fixed their database entry to turn back on free maps the update worked normally.

By the way some of the older models like the 5120-LMXT are still updated by using the old Content Manager desktop application, not smartgpseco app. You can download the Content Manager program from Magellan.

Rick_E, Jan 26, 2017
    Nuvi-Nebie likes this.
Ask a Question