Updates for "lifetime" and purchased maps and cameras

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by johnash, Nov 23, 2017.

1. johnash

johnash

I bought my first-ever Garmin (a Drivesmart 51) which came with "lifetime" maps and cameras for Europe in July. I get updates for the Europe cameras nearly every day but never received anything for the Europe maps. Should I have?

Now I have purchased USA maps, on which I'm preparing for our next USA trip next Spring, and I have now recently bought a "year's subscription" to USA cameras. Both the USA maps and cameras are installed on an SD card with bags of free space.

I have received no updates for the USA map, and now I am seeing no updates for the USA cameras (unlike the Europe cameras).

I Emailed Garmin about this and all I got back was that "this" (whatever problem "this" was, seeing as I raised several) "was a known issue". Even though I replied to their Email asking for more information, I later received an Email saying the case was now closed. And I used to think TomTom support was poor!

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get a sensible answer on here. What I tried to do to update the USA cameras was to press the download button which comes up with purchased items in Garmin Express. And that is where I am getting the error message. I guess I could force an update by deleting the cameras file (and even the USA map) and downloading and installing again but I don't know what files to delete and there appears to be NO official Garmin way of removing items from devices (this was always an optin within TomTom software).

I would be very grateful for guidance on these update issues. Thanks.

(STOP PRESS: I just tried again to download and install the USA cameras and, having received an error message for two days, I it has just been successful. So that part of the problem may be solved! Did Garmin do anything I wonder??)

johnash, Nov 23, 2017
  2. johnash

johnash

Just to add something and to withdraw such criticism of Garmin support! I received a further message from them after this post stating that the problem had been fixed by their software engineers! Well done!

Meanwhile I'd be grateful for some more info on those maps updates!

johnash, Nov 24, 2017
  3. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

What versions of the Europe and USA maps do you have on your Drivesmart 51 ?

Current map versions (the Europe map is due for update soon):-

City Navigator North America = 2018.30 released 11 OCT 2017
    City Navigator Europe = 2018.20 released 22 Aug 2017

Here is a link to a map release history page :-
    http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42417

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 24, 2017
  4. johnash

johnash

That link to update page is really useful, thanks.

I have, for Europe, 2018.2 (I'm getting this info from Basecamp) and the USA map is the same, 2018.2. I'm guessing I'm stuck with that version of the USA map, am I? It seems you don't get updates when you buy an additional map.

Further good news is that Garmin Express is, this morning, showing updates for BOTH Europe AND USA cameras. Hooray!

johnash, Nov 25, 2017
Ask a Question