Upgrading from a 60CSx

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Trooper1954, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Trooper1954

Trooper1954

Hi all,.....first post here.

I have an older 60CSx that has served me well for 15+ years, and it's time to upgrade. While having some GPS knowledge I am by no means a techie, and am getting totally confused with the available offerings on the market today.
    Here are a few questions I have for those of you with lots of experience.....any help would be appreciated.
    1. Are there any current models that take both AA batteries and a rechargeable battery pack?
    2. If I just wanted basic Inreach SOS capabilities with the lowest plan what models cover this?
    3. If you were replacing a 60CSx in todays market, what would you replace it with?
    4. Need barometer and altimeter
    5. Can the newer models still be used with Basecamp? I have lots of saved files. If not, how stable/what is the current alternative that people are using?

I have done some research, but all it does is confuse me! :).....I'm a senior, perhaps that's why!! LoL

Thanks in advance for any advice....I'm sure I'll have other questions but this will do for now.

Thanks.

Trooper1954, Sep 29, 2023
  2. Trooper1954

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As I see it you have 3 main requirements, AA batterys / removable rechargeable battery pack, Inreach and Sensors (electronic compass and electronic altimeter / barometer), the third one isn't a problem with nearly all available units having this option, however I think you will have to decide which of the first two you want because I don't think there is a single unit that has both

I am guessing that Inreach satellite communication can't be achieved using 3 Volts so units like the Inreach Explorer and the GPSMap67i that both have Inreach and sensors have built-in rechargeable batteries and are charged via a USB connector

Units without Inreach that have the battery setup you want and sensors include the GPSMap 64s, the GPSMap 65s, the GPSMap 66s, the Oregon 600 and 700 series and the Montana 600 (3 x AA)

As far as I am aware all the units above are compatible with Basecamp except the Inreach explore, this uses the Earthmate app and Garmin Explore

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 30, 2023
Ask a Question