Urgent help needed please. Garmin ignoring my pre-planned routed

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by johnash, Oct 14, 2017.

1. johnash

johnash

OK, we're on a trip through parts of Spain, not that far from our home. The first time our Garmin Drive Smart has been used "in anger" (and, boy, did I get angry!).

I'd carefully pre-planned our routes in Basecamp, putting in sufficient shaping points to go on the back roads we wanted to explore. I'd transferred them to the device and checked the route was OK on the map when I loaded the route on the device.

However, when we set out on our first day (3 more routes to go) I pressed GO having loaded the route, the map of it showing correctly, then it went away "calculating" the route and I was horrified to find it was going to take us on the fastest route and not the way I'd pre-planned, In other words it had ignored all my shaping points. I changed the settings to avoid motorways but that did not work either as, for parts of the route, motorways are the only option without diverting several scores of kms down bumpy tracks,

After much cursing, I somehow got it to follow the pre-planned route, but I know not how I did it. I think I avoided pressing the GO button but apart from that, I just don't know.

If someone could point me in the right direction (literally!) on how to get my Garmin to follow the routes I spent so much time preparing, I would be extremely grateful! By the way, the first "destination" in today's route was our final destination, the other waypoints all being shaping points.

johnash, Oct 14, 2017
  2. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are are a few thing to concider, I will go through them all, as I'm not sure which one is your problem.

1) A downloaded Route will allways be 'calulated', because it has to auto-route in between the supplied Waypoints / shaping points, you may have suplied just 2 of them or 22, but there will always be auto-routing to get from one to the next

2) You must use the same map on Basecamp that is on your satnav, if for example you use an Open Street Map on Basecamp to draw the Route and then download it to a satnav that has CN Europe NTU on it, the result will be unpredictable because the maps contain roads

3) When you select Apps >> Trip Planner >> [select trip], you have options by selecting the three hoizontal lines (top left), i.e. Edit Destinations, Delete Trip, Rename Trip, Optimise Order, Route Preferencies, this last one has Faster, Shorter, Less Fuel etc. but this should only affect the Route in between your supplied points

4) If the Route has Waypoints (rather than shaping points) in between start and end, you will get an option to 'Optimise' but this will mess up your original route

5) After selecting 'Go', you get a 'Select Next Destination' screen, if there are only two options to pick from, then the one you pick will final destination, you can use this to reverse the Route for a route back the way you came

6) If you select 'Go' and start the Route, in order to check / simulate the Route, you must select WhereTo >> Stop (navigating), before you do the Route for real, or the satnav will get confused

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 14, 2017
  3. johnash

johnash

Thanks for the response. I have tried again with tomorrow's route. It has just the one shaping point to force it a certain way, but when I press GO it creates a route totally ignoring the waypoint. If I turn it into a destination it works. Yes, using the same maps on both, as supplied on the Garmin and copied to PC. I do appreciate the help on this forum.

johnash, Oct 14, 2017
  4. johnash

johnash

Thanks!

johnash, Oct 14, 2017
  5. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm wondering if the problem is where the satnav is starting from, if for example you have a streight road route of say 10 miles with a shaping point 5 miles along the road, but when you start your journey you are only 2 miles from the 10 mile finish point, you will be directed towards the 10 mile point and not the midway shaping point

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 14, 2017
  6. johnash

johnash

Thanks as ever for the advice. I have a feeling this was happening because I was loading the route before the device knew where it was, ie acquiring satellites, still! Today went better. I'll let you know what happens in two days when our next long journey is.

Meanwhile it did let us down this morning in Albacete. I had put the cathedral in as a routing (shaping) point as I did not want the device to keep taking back to it if it was impossible to get close, which it often is in Spanish cities due to ever-narrowing streets (until you're trapped in a nightmarish maze!). But before I knew it, I was being taken out of the city again without even glimpsing the cathedral. I was wondering how close you have to get before it is deemed you can carry on?

johnash, Oct 15, 2017
  7. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you ignore a suggested turning (or are forced to for some reason) and the chosen road leads to the next shaping point / waypoint, the unit will re-route and decide the previous shaping point in now not needed

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 15, 2017
  8. johnash

johnash

Aha. That makes sense. We'll have to go back to Albacete sometime and try again. Thanks!

johnash, Oct 15, 2017
Ask a Question