USA road trip best GPS

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by sifi, Mar 7, 2022.

1. sifi

sifi

Covid permitting, I hope to go on a road trip--mostly camping--throughout the USA this summer. I am not much of a cell phone guy (I don't have any data, though i could get some), so I'm thinking a standalone GPS is right for me. I want to find scenic routes and avoid major highways. Perhaps ironically, I want a GPS that will help me get lost. Any thoughts on the right unit for me? I'll be in a car, but I've wondered if the Garmin zumos for motorcycles are a good choice because of the "adventurous routing" function. That said, I like the idea of voice command ("OK Garmin, find me a campground"), so maybe a drivesmart 66? Something else?

sifi, Mar 7, 2022
  2. sifi

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As far as the cell phone option goes, you don't need 'data' in fact you don't need a cell phone connection at all, Apps like OsmAnd can download free maps to your phone before you leave home (via Wifi), then all you need is a GPS signal from satellites, this is not connected to the cell phone network in any way, if you can see the sky then you have all you need

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 8, 2022
Ask a Question