USB type Car charger for Garmin 2495 LMT

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Ginger, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Ginger

Ginger

Is anyone aware of a Car charger for a Garmin 2495LMT that uses the auto's USB port rather than the older style cigarette lighter type port?

Ginger, Aug 29, 2019
  2. Ginger

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your 2495 has a USB 5 volt input, an auto's USB port is also 5 volts so the two can be directly connected with a USB cable

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Ginger

Ginger

Thank you Nuvi-Nebie, I would have expected the same as you suggest. However, when I connect to the auto's USB port, the 2495 responds with a data cable connection assuming I am connected to my PC. I have seen posts on other forums suggesting using jumpers etc. to "trick" the Garmin, but I'm not comfortable with that approach. I appreciate your input.

Ginger, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Ginger

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You would need to find a 'Power Only' USB cable, If Data is detected on the USB connection the Satnav switches to data transfer mode

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 1, 2019
  5. Ginger

Ginger

Got it. Thanks again. Just ordered same from Amazon and will give it a shot. Will post if successful.

Ginger, Sep 1, 2019
  6. Ginger

Ginger

Ginger, Sep 8, 2019
  7. Ginger

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Some Garmin satnavs require a certain voltage level on pin5 of the USB plug (satnav end), this cable may provide that feature, it isn't clear from the description, but usually the removal of the two data wires is all that is required for navigation mode + charging

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 8, 2019
Ask a Question