Using a Garmin in the Car/Truck

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Boudreaux, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux

For years we used a 2610 in the Car, Truck and the motorcycle. It was very successful.

But, it's time to upgrade the maps, and that's not possible. SO..... I'm considering a 2797LMT.

I see it has an internal battery with an expectancy of 2.5 hours. Well, when your touring up to twenty days a time, that internal battery won't cut it.

I see this unit also has a cable from the unit to a standard USB, and an automotive 12 volt plug.

Can this unit be plug into a 12 volt automotive plug (or automtive USB) for charging and map use all at once....???

:) :) :)

Boudreaux, Mar 18, 2014
  2. Boudreaux

wchancey

I have a 2597 and I use map functions while it is charging though both the car charger and the usb cable connected to my lap top.

wchancey, Mar 18, 2014
  3. Boudreaux

Boudreaux

Thanks WChancey, I don't see having much difference between the 2797 and the 2597.

I feel sure the 2797 will serve me in that capacity. Thanks for your quick response.....

Boudreaux, Mar 18, 2014
  4. Boudreaux

Kevin.Hutch

Charging vs Use

The 2797 comes with the DC adaptor to its standard cradle with a mini USB plug/socket There is a micro USB on the side of the unit intended for data transfer but does charge via this as well.

If you use a computer USB cable it detects if the data connection is made and goes straight into computer connect mode for data transfer.

If you use a USB charge cable that only has the power connections (ie most thin cheap USB charge cables) then it only charges and leaves the GPS fully operational, regardless whether it is connected to 12v USB adapter or computer.

There are different current capacity 12v USB convertors .5A, 1A, 2A etc and they limit the current, this is why some smart phones take forever to charge with a car adaptor compared to the fast charger at home and charge quicker if not in use.

Your PC USB may not supply sufficient current to charge and use in a reasonable time frame and beware the USB port may not be live when the PC is switched off or in sleep mode.

The 7 inch screen uses considerable power and it can take a fast charge current if the source can supply it. Your PC USB may not supply the fast charge current unless a blue tongued (USB3).

Kevin H

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    Kevin.Hutch, Dec 26, 2014
Ask a Question