Using dual GPSMap 1243 XSV's

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Viciii3, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Viciii3

Viciii3

I have dual 1243 xsv's on my new boat. I am getting a lot of conflicting information on using them together. It is my belief I should be able to have GPS charts, radar and sonar appear on EITHER screen of my choosing. I have GPS, radar and sonar transducers installed, but only the left 1243 xvs has selections for sonar and radar. The only option on the right MFD is "charts"...and any chart opened never updates position, on the right 1243 xvs. At this point, the right 1243 is useless.

Can anyone direct me to any information on using 2 of these units together?

Viciii3, Oct 17, 2022
  2. Viciii3

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't own any marine equipment so all this is just a 'best guess', I presume that both 1243s are connected to the same NMEA 2000 network, if so it will be possible for each 1243 to display the devices it can 'see' using this :-
    2022-10-18_13.09.34.jpg

So you should be able to find out if the 'right hand' 1243 can see a sonor and radar source, if it can't I would suggest it isn't connected to the NMEA 2000 network correctly, if it can see these devises then you should be able to select them with :-

Options > Sonar Setup > Source

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Options > Radar Setup > Source
    Select Settings > Communications > Preferred Sources > Radar

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 18, 2022
  3. Viciii3

Viciii3

Thank you, N-N!. I also found the Garmin tech reference for NMEA construction/requirements.
    It actually looks pretty straight forward...as far as the network architecture. I'll be back!

Viciii3, Oct 20, 2022
Ask a Question