VantagePoint slow map download

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by n6medjim, Aug 19, 2014.

1. n6medjim

n6medjim

Beware slow d/l and map size of selected map. I've got Comcrash cable with a downlink rate >50Mbps. VantagePoint's Imagery Download is screaming along at 56 kbs. I have to line it up with a pole to ensure it is moving. In addition, when I attempted to d/l a 460 kb file, Imagery Download hung at about 125kb for file d/l. Magellan's advertised max session d/l is 500 Mb and max daily d/l of 1 Gb.

Magellan Customer Service says that they advise a max session d/l of only 100-200 Mb. Huh?!? MAJOR disconnect between what somebody was told to plug into the s/w prompts and what Magellan's servers can handle. And, no explanation for the slooow d/l speed. Tried again with a smaller file size of about 150 Md. Started out reasonably fast at 250 kbps (Argh! that's about a third of the slow DSL rate over copper!!), then slowed down to 50 kbps (it's downloading as I type this).

Frustrated! Should have bought (and still might) a Garmin...

n6medjim, Aug 19, 2014
Ask a Question