Vehicle gps navigation tracking?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by albert, Oct 2, 2017.

1. albert

albert

Do any of the gps units designed for vehicle navigation have a track recording feature and function?

I recently purchased a couple of older used Maestros and one Roadmate and found there is no track recording function? Sort of surprised me. I guess I've been out of touch with vehicle navigation equipment.

Why did they leave this function out? Too expensive and/or didn't think people would need to track record while driving?

I need to track and record erosion of coast line areas while driving a vehicle.

I suppose I can track record with my Android phone as there's plenty of gps record and map apps with track record. ... Purchase a separate gps recorder or a hand held gps device designed for hiking. However I'm wondering why they left out this feature with at least the vehicle nav units I recently picked up.

Many of the gps units designed for vehicle nav. claim can be used outside of a vehicle while walking or hiking. But I'm wondering why no track recording? For me it's like a basic function for any gps device whether it's designed as a handheld or to be used with a vehicle.

Looking around at Magellan gps devices ones with a track record function are e.g. the Xplorist, Roadmate 300 - 800, possibly the TrX, etc.? Which are more designed for hiking than vehicle navigation. I guess the vehicle nav. developers thought people driving a vehicle don't need to record where they've gone?

albert, Oct 2, 2017
  2. albert

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is quite a common feature on Garmin Satnavs such as the Nuvi range, even the base models have a 'Where I've Been' option which allows you to view tracks by date

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 2, 2017
  3. albert

albert

Ok, thanks I'll look into that. I just downloaded a Garmin nuvi 1690 manual and could not find any reference to "Where I've Been". However there's reference to clearing a trip log but no information or instructions about saving a trip log.

The nuvi 55/56/65/66 Manual

Under: Device and Privacy Settings

Travel History: Allows the device to record information for the myTrends, Where I've Been and Trip Log features

However I could not find any information about saving a trip log or Where I've Been data.

I did find some oinformation about Garmins trip log. Some Garmin devices that have a trip log feature each trip is automatically saved as a gpx or (perhaps another format) file. There are converters for gpx files such as Gpsbabel, etc.

Garmin: View Trip Log data on a computer

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/7dtWt6yqQY1xnZXU3BQjMA

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    albert, Oct 2, 2017
  4. albert

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Here is the display for the Nuvi56LM :-

Select Apps.

1.png

Select Where I've Been

2.png

Select Date to see blue track

3.png

These tracks can be uploaded to Garmin Base camp