Way to reset vintage Magellan GPS 3000?

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by Ric, May 24, 2017.

1. Ric

Ric

I have a very old Magellan GPS 3000 that is having an issue that I think might be fixed by resetting it but I can't figure out how to do that. When I put batteries in it and then push down the battery cover it automatically turns on. It searches and is able to figure out where it is but the displayed date is wrong (1997) and none of the buttons work. I know it's old and I should just throw it away but I'm having trouble giving up on it. Can anyone help?

Ric, May 24, 2017
  2. Ric

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are some similar posts here :-
    https://www.gps-forums.com/threads/magellan-gps-3000-problem.18865/
    One post says he was allowed to enter the correct date after resetting, unfortunately he does not mention how to reset

Garmin GPSs from around 1997 had a date rollover problem, your unit may have a similar problem, see link (Click HERE)
    EDIT
    You can initialise your 3000 and then enter the time/date, see user manual page 12 :-
    1-4.jpg 5-7.jpg 8-9.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, May 24, 2017
  3. Ric

Ric

Thanks Nuvi-Nebie. Yes, I would initialize my 3000 and enter the date except that I can't do that because none of the buttons work after it powers on and finds my location. That's the problem I'm having, Looks like I'm going to have to give up on it.

Ric, May 25, 2017
  4. Ric

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sorry I miss-interpreted what you said, I thought you were saying that non of the buttons work to fix a specific problem, rather than they didn't work at all, If you can't fix the buttons the unit isn't going to function even if you correct the date. It seems very likely that one or more buttons are 'stuck' down, possibly the Power button? and this is preventing any other buttons working

Nuvi-Nebie, May 25, 2017
  5. Ric

SteveO

DATE PROBLEM
    I have a problem with the date - I initialized my Magellan GPS 3000XL, entered the location, altitude, date, time, and let it search for satellites.
    It seems to have found lat/lon, time, everything OK except the date, which I had originally set to today's date: March 26, 2018, but it now thinks the date is Aug 10, 1998 ("10AUG98" on the display) Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks!

SteveO, Mar 26, 2018
  6. Ric

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think your unit has the week rollover problem (see link HERE), if you can set just the date manually after the unit has gained a satellite 'fix', your unit should be OK., however, if it is only possible to set the date after a reset when the the unit does not have a 'fix', then I don't think you will be able to set the date display correctly

GPSs need to know the correct date before they get a satellite 'fix', however, I suspect what is happening is that internally the unit does hold the correct date, but it sets the display incorrectly when it gets data from the satellites

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 27, 2018
  7. Ric

SteveO

Thanks... the GPS has an accurate lat/lon fix, and I did a "go to" a known waypoint, and that seems accurate as to bearing and distance, so it is apparently just the date. Once the Magellan has a fix, I can only input a time, not a date.

SteveO, Mar 27, 2018
Ask a Question